• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

breeding trifasciata

cageman

5 Year Member
I have a trio of trifasciata and they spawned one time now.
exellent ofcource and according to plan. however the eggs were not fertilized because I have to keep the man separated with plexiglas from the two females, otherwise the man completely distroys the females.
I keep them in an 19 gallon square tank.
the other female seems to be ready now, but every time I let the man in he goes at it again .
what can I possibly do??

greetings,

cageman

Tea

5 Year Member
breddding trifaciata

Hello Cageman, Ime try to put a dither fish in with them, the male will usually turn most of his aggretion towards him. I like to usepencil fish because they are fast enough to get away from them and they won't bother the fry after they have spawned. You can also try to put more hiding place in the tank like small clay pots or small 2 inch pvc piping.. Hope this helps...

cageman

5 Year Member
thanks but I already have corydoras pygmeus and he gives them no attention :frown: just the females. do you think a nannostomus specie will help more?
I also have small pots and more than enough likewise hideouts,....

Apistt_ed

try de-fusing his anger by helping the female out with a little more "cover". the easiest way for the male to not bother the female is for him to not see her. In many of my tanks, as soon as the female has spawned, I'd move a ball of java moss to cover the cave that she has spawned in. In my tanks, the females once spawned and guarding her eggs, will not go far from the area and the male shouldn't bother her too much if he doesn't see her in direct plain view. This way, once the female who has spawned is guarding eggs, the female that is left will gain all of the attention and once there is fry, the female will not tolerate even the most aggressive of males near her. Hope this helps! best luck and wishes... I try not to use plexi, dividers, etc. as they are unsightly and I believe unnecessary. john

cageman

5 Year Member
thanks
added some javamoss and hideouts and still the same results. will leave them for a few days like this. if it's still the same I will move them to my bigger tank. I do think sometimes plexi can help in some situations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….