• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

breeding tank sze>??

firetank

5 Year Member
Im hopefully going to put a start to my plans of a "breeding fishhouse"..

Im planning on trying various Dwarfs:Apistos;Laetacara sp;Numerous West african...

Im in a muddle whether to use 18*12*12 tanks; 18*15*12 or 24*12*12..

anyone have any suggestions\recommendations??

thanks
craig :D

M

morten

tank

I would bet on the tank with the most depth, height is not that important !

Moi_Eater

5 Year Member
As morten said, height is not very important. I would go with the size that provides the most area. Most dwarf cichlids would be comfortable breeding in a 20L. That is the size I would probably go for when creating a multi-tank breeding setup.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
WHen I plan rack systems for a room, I like to use tanks that will fit on 48"x13" racks. These include 20H and 15 gallons that can fit two to a rack. The 48" tanks that can fit on that dimension include 33L, 40 and 55 gallon tanks. The 55 are a bit tall in my opinion, but they are often inexpensive. Using the 48x13 allows for some flexibility.

For larger tanks, I like to use the 72" x 18". Two 40Br can fit on that demension, as well as all the standard 100, 125 and 135 tanks. You can also fit seven ten gallon tanks on that dimension.

I had a set of three racks once that fit six 40 breeders on top, three 100 gallon tanks in the middle and twenty ten gallons on the bottom close to the floor. These racks were the back wall of a fishroom. I had frontosa colonies in the 100's, sub-adult frontosa's in the 40's and frontosa fry in the tens. It was a very lucrative rack!

Moi_Eater

5 Year Member
Wow Ted! I guess I was thinking on a small scale. Hopefully I will be able to have something like what you described in the near future!

firetank

5 Year Member
thanks..

im going for either male\female or male\female\female(for apistos) set-ups; so think that ill go with the 18*15*12 with a few danios as dithers....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothygaw

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….