• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Cacatuiodes

apisto_shores

5 Year Member
Hello all,

I'm pretty new to this forum as well as apisto's. I have a 40gal with
a lot of plants (dense) and a piece of wood(root probably) and two
halves of coconut shells. The fish list is (2) bristle nose plecos maxed
out at 2 1/2", (8) cardinal tetras, (4) white clouds, (1) borellii male
and (2) cacatuiodes m/fm. The water parameters are ph 6.5-6.8,
ammonia,nitrite and nitrate are at 0 and my kh is at 2-3. I feed
twice daily-a flake then frozen food(brine shrimp or mysis or
bloodworm or mosquito larvae. My question is when should expect
to see my cacatuiodes produce some fry? The female hasn't taken
to either of the coconut shells nor has she turned yellow. They have
been in this setup for a month. I know there is no set time for this sort
of thing but all I here from others is they are having fry within weeks
in just bare tanks with a flower pot. I just needaclue

Thanks in advance

jase101

5 Year Member
hi there -

you've answered your own question - there is absolutlely no way of knowing when any fish will spawn - there are too many factors at play - water chemistry, compatability, fertility, tankmates, etc.

the karma is in being patient and keeping them alive and happy. the joy is in being surprised by eggs or babies.

justin

Apistt_ed

Welcome to the site! hopefully we can help you out with your questions.

A. Cacatuoides are probably not as complicated as most will think. I remember when I started out and was literally clueless. With a little patience and a little luck, I had a successfull spawn and didn't even notice they were there until the female led them around the tank. It may be the plecos, as mine, who kept eating the eggs as they were laid. I didn't notice it at first but, one night with a flashlight I caught it in the act and it was a small clown pleco along with a young broken lined royal pleco. They would bully the female around and with their plates, were invincible against her biting and the eggs had no chance. After observing that, I removed the plecos to another tank and introduced 4 otto cats and noticed that within 2 weeks the cockatoos had spawned again! This time, there was nothing that could eat it in the tank but still, the clutch was lost. The mother may have eaten them, I'm not sure though... but sure enough when I left them alone, they did have a successfull spawn!
Your tank sounds like it is perfect for cacatuoides to spawn and live in! If they are new to the tank, then maybe it's just that they haven't really settled in. With a little time, so they can get used to the decor and the other fish, they will "do it." :wink: With a good protein-rich diet (which you seem to be doing quite well), patience, and fingers crossed it will happen. Like all things, don't rush it.
There are also many others who have ran into the very same problem you have in this forum and you can also do a search of the site to find all the posts by typing in cacatuoides. I know doczahi was in the same bind you were in and have finally had fry and all not too long ago... I'm not sure if you can note him or not through the site but his post wasn't too long ago! good luck and we're all here to help you out!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….