• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeder box

Chaos

Hi y'all. So to my surprise today my Ap. Eliza has clutch of egg in my 75 gal community tank before my lazy self could set up there 10 gallon tank. In the tank i have a pair of Ap. cockatoos,pair Ap. baenschi, 8 redlin barbs, 11 corys, and 6 hypans. This is my second time working with this species and I want to try and get some frys. What I want to do is try and move the female and the eggs to a 7x5 breeder box. I will still have it in the 75 gal tank but has anyone tried this method of artificially hatching in a breeder box with the female before? I'm picking up the breeder box tonight and will transfer the female and eggs in the middle of night because I don't stress out the female. Well hopes this works out.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The box is too small; the moving of the female & eggs will probably stress her so much that she will eat the eggs. You might be more successful just moving the eggs and hatching them artificially. If it were me in your position, I would let her try to hatch and raise fry in the aquarium. It is unlikely that any fry will survive, but it will be good practice.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Mike... let her try to raise a batch on her own, and in the meantime find a place to set up a 15-20gallon aquarium for the pair to breed in. If you already have a tank set up and available, you can try moving the female with her spawn to it. I would do it after the fry are free swimming though. IME a female is less likely to abandon fry.

If you leave the female with her fry in the larger tank, once the spawn cycle is done you can move the pair to the spawning tank where they can try again undisturbed.

You can also wait for the fry to become free swimming, and then remove some of them with a siphon. They can be raised in a dish for a few days, but will eventually need a tank of their own to grow out in.

blueblue

5 Year Member
I did also raise fry in such a community tank. My trick is to put a lot of moss for the fry to hide and feed quite a lot of bbs for every fish.
In the presence of the parent fish, some (like 10) fry managed to grow up in my 40 inches long community tank. If yield is a concern,
you will have to try artificial hatching with the use of methylene blue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….