• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borellii eggs?

yukondog

5 Year Member
I got a male Borellii about 3 weeks ago he is smaller than my female, she started turning a little yellow about a week ago and has been chasing the male around a little, this morning when I went to feed them she was inside the coconut which I have never seen her go into and this afternoon she came out again to eat, if there are eggs in there I have read that the male should be removed and have read that there left in, first time breeding apistos and just need any advice on this or anything else, I do breed kribs but other than that they are the only cichlids I have breed.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I got a male Borellii about 3 weeks ago he is smaller than my female, she started turning a little yellow about a week ago and has been chasing the male around a little, this morning when I went to feed them she was inside the coconut which I have never seen her go into and this afternoon she came out again to eat, if there are eggs in there I have read that the male should be removed and have read that there left in, first time breeding apistos and just need any advice on this or anything else, I do breed kribs but other than that they are the only cichlids I have breed.
It sounds likely that there are eggs, I would leave the male in the tank.

cheers Darrel

yukondog

5 Year Member
She brought her fry out last week, started out with about 50 now down to about 20 or so. With this being her first batch I not to surprised.

yukondog

5 Year Member
Live and frozen BBS all hatched by me. I'll be picking up more eggs to hatch today, they eat the frozen good, but like the live ones better.

yukondog

5 Year Member
There is a lot more than I thought there was, half were with the female and the other half was with the male, I never looked for fry to be with the male.

yukondog

5 Year Member
All the fry were with the male yesterday, is this normal for the male to take over fry raising? He seems to have the fry around him more than the female, she is not aggressive to him only to the two dither guppy's. They seem to swap duties once or twice a day.

gerald

5 Year Member
Yes. Interest in fry care varies pair by pair, and may change with age. Generally females take charge, but not always, and with some it's 50/50 fry care. Not sure to what extent the fry choose which parent they like to follow. You're lucky - that makes things easier if both parents share fry care and get along well. Having dither fish probably helps. Enjoy the show!

yukondog

5 Year Member
I noticed this morning about 50% fry gone, fry have been with female at least since this morning, notice a lot of tail slapping by female, my take time for male to come out?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….