• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Boil Leaf Litter?

HookedOnFish_MI

Wow...sqeaky clean ... I would reduce the light a bit or chuck some floating plants in it .... Nice hardscape though;)
Thank you. It has gotten darker in there since this picture was taken due to the tannins building up. I tried finding some frogbit but learned you can’t sell it in Michigan. I don’t want to deal with duckweed. Any other recommendations that won’t kill my anubias by making it too dark?

HookedOnFish_MI

Give it time to grime. ;)
So do I no longer try to suck out things like this?
E9978086-12AF-4B8A-8F8B-AE9D8F2EBD13.jpeg

BF41F421-A39C-4E80-AAF6-D0C111657183.jpeg

MacZ

So do I no longer try to suck out things like this?

Correct, at least long term. Here you can see some closeups of the mulm in my tank.
it will look grimey and disgusting for a while, but when microorganisms, worms, snails and the like start to decompose the plants the bottom layer
of fine mulm will absorb anything like the blob and direct it all back into the food chain and the nitrogen cycle. As I only have four fish in there and only feed small amounts with fast days the amount of fish waste stays in a range that I can handle.
photo_2021-02-19_17-33-23.jpg

photo_2021-02-19_17-33-49.jpg

photo_2021-02-19_17-34-03.jpg

HookedOnFish_MI

Correct, at least long term. Here you can see some closeups of the mulm in my tank.
it will look grimey and disgusting for a while, but when microorganisms, worms, snails and the like start to decompose the plants the bottom layer
of fine mulm will absorb anything like the blob and direct it all back into the food chain and the nitrogen cycle. As I only have four fish in there and only feed small amounts with fast days the amount of fish waste stays in a range that I can handle.View attachment 10037
View attachment 10038
View attachment 10039
Thanks for the info. I’m sure I’ll try to suck up anything easily accessible, but just won’t go rearranging anything to get more.

HookedOnFish_MI

Just give the tank(and the fishes) a rest...dont worry about some poop ...Jesus..
Get some snails ..they will take care of this . A handful of Salvinia or Pistia and everything will be alright ;)
Not “worried” about it being there, just want to make sure I know what I’m doing and not jeopardizing my water quality since this part is new to me. Thanks for the comments.

yukondog

5 Year Member
Doing a little vacuuming wont change a thing if it's unsightly to you. Most of the fish [apisto] we get are tank raised and have never seen dark water before and unless you have W/C really dont need it, but it's more of a personal thing, do the dark water fish like it more, I dont know, I've tried both, I raise Hongsloi, Cacatuides, Agassizii, Borellii and Macmasteri for years and have seen no difference between reg. tanks and dark water tanks.

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Wow! How long did it take all that to accumulate?
A few years. If I remember correctly, my last gravel vac was in 2017.
It´s a combination of leaf litter, decaying botanicals and sphagnum moss.

On a side note: Mike W just had to rain on my parade. ;) I was always in the impression that my tanks were the mulmiest.
I´d really dislike that guy if he wasn´t such a never ending source of information...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….