• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bloodworms ok for cacatuoides?

mantisfan101

I have some bloodworms that I feed to my other fish but it’s about 9 months old, yet I’ve never seen any adverse results on my fish and has actually helped my bettas spwn better. I fed 3 individual worms to some of my apistos and now I’m afraid that it’s going to cause them to bloat, which I’ve heard is common when feeding bloodworms. Do I have anything to worry about right now?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I have some bloodworms that I feed to my other fish but it’s about 9 months old, yet I’ve never seen any adverse results on my fish and has actually helped my bettas spwn better. I fed 3 individual worms to some of my apistos and now I’m afraid that it’s going to cause them to bloat, which I’ve heard is common when feeding bloodworms. Do I have anything to worry about right now?
No, I'm not a fan of buying bloodworms (fresh, frozen or freeze-dried), because you only get commercially collectable density of bloodworm larvae where you have very polluted water.

You can't culture them as such (they are the larvae of Chironomid midges), but you <"ranch your own"> in a bucket in the garden. Method is in <"you guys might like....">.

cheers Darrel

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
In a YouTube video, Wattley discus advises not to feed bloodworms more than once a week as it can lead to hole-in-the-head. Any indication that the same thing happens to apistos?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Bloodworms are similar to what forms part of the diets of apistos in the wild. That being said, care is always recommended. Quality and quantity are important. I feed frozen bloodworms several times each week - but always mixed with other foods - from a source with a good reputation for quality. I don't think it has adversely affected my apistos.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I feed all the fish live bloodworms I've "ranched" and I'm confident that they are a good food source and aren't implicated in any fish ill health. Same applies to Mosquito larvae, they are a top live food.

cheers Darrel

allentwnguy

I second Mikes post. I actually feed bloodworms daily. BUT I feed a flake food first which most of my apisto's eat readily. I let them clean and forage the tanks then later on it is blood worms, wide disbursement, very few in each area so all have an opportunity to get one or two..... if they are fast. Then later on when my smaller charges (CPD's, Trigonostigma somphongsi, Boraras brigittae, etc) get some bbs I also give the apistos a chance for some of the bbs. They seem to enjoy the variety. I have 4 female sp tefe with brood in a 40 breeder as I type. Since I'm really not a breeder I allow nature to take its course and when I get over populated I give the excess away. I works for me.

Dee Vura

I say bloodworm good for any fish also freeze dried or live blackworm, with freeze dried I rehydrate in hot water which allows the worms to sink

Acara

I feed mine a mixture of 2:3 frozen brine shrimp to frozen bloodworm (good quality). About twice a week They do fine!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….