• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bitaeniata Tefe?

blinkmiao

5 Year Member
who know what is the meaning of A.Bitaeniata Tefe?
i know that tefe is a river name but how to identify a A.Bitaeniata Tefe?
is there any extraordinary thing ?
thanks^.^

alias

5 Year Member
Apisto is the name of a group dwarfcichlids and tefe is a river.
So blinkmiao together we have already 2 of the 3 so I leave the rest up to the others :lol: .

good luck. I'm quite curious though. :lol:

grtz alias

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apistogramma bitaeniata Tefé is the Peruvian form of A. bitaeniata that comes from the lower Rio Tefé in western Brazil. Matsuzaka, et al. show a lovely red bitaeniata from this location, but unless yours are listed as red I would expect them the be the typical color.

blinkmiao

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
Apistogramma bitaeniata Tefé is the Peruvian form of A. bitaeniata that comes from the lower Rio Tefé in western Brazil. Matsuzaka, et al. show a lovely red bitaeniata from this location, but unless yours are listed as red I would expect them the be the typical color.

thanks a lot^.^
so...without the lovely red...there is nothing especial on bitaeniata Tefé ?
because some people told me that there is something special(compare with other bitaeniata..)
thanks^.^

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
For me, all of the forms of A. bitaeniata are special. The Tefé forms that I have seen all have a sizable amount of blue metallic spangles on the gill covers (typical of Peruvian forms of A. bitaeniata), but they also have some yellow areas on the gill cover & lower jaw (typical of Brazilian forms of A. bitaeniata). Both the red & blue color morphs belong to the same Tefé form.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have some that I picked up in Germany and there is no Red they are fairly plain looking withut the typicl orange and are mainly blue! Anyone wants a pair contact me!1

aspen

5 Year Member
as with most apistos, males are larger and have fin extensions on their dorsal, anal and ventral fins as they grow and are much more colourful. if they are small, ie 3-4 cm's (1 1/4") it may be difficult to tell till they grow out a bit. bit females also have the darkened ventral fins (bottom front paired fins) which make other apistos so easy to sex at a young age. females at breeding time will go yellow. do not be surprised if very young fish go into breeding colours.

look very closely when they are showing off to each other, for the characteristic extended front spines of the dorsal fin on the males. this is only obvious when they have their dorsal fins extended in young fish.

i find it is easier on some fish than others to sex them till they are a little bigger. if you have 2 males in the tank watch for them fighting. if this persists, you should separate them, provide lots more cover or try keeping them in a bigger tank. a single male with multiple females is less problematic.

rick.

blinkmiao

5 Year Member
thanks for your reply...maybe i should ask more clearly@.@
how to identify a A.Bitaeniata Tefe female?(compare with the other Bitaeniata female)
thanks^.^~

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. bitaeniata females basically look the same, whether they come from the upper Amazon around Iquitos, Peru to the lower Amazon around Óbido, Brazil. They are all probably the same species. Males may be colored a little differently, but the dark markings are all the same. The only way to tell that a specimen of A. bitaeniata comes from the Rio Tefé drainages is to know that it was imported from the area. This is why we have to depend on the honesty of the suppliers for the names.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….