• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Biotoecus id please

Gamelle

5 Year Member
Hi,

I just got 5 specimens of wild caught Biotoecus, could you please tell me if they are opercularis or dicentrarchus .... in fact, I'm a bit lost because I didn't catch the difference between both ... one is suppose to have only 2 spines on the anal fin, but the other could fit both 2 or 3 spines ...

Biotoecus_light_01.jpg

What about the adult size of both species ?

If necessary, full size photo is available here :

Thanks in advance :)

--
Stephane

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
For me is B. dicentrarchus.

The body of B. dicentrarchus is more elongated than of the B. opercularis; besides, B. dicentrarchus has a dark chin.

Lolojil

5 Year Member
Hello,

There are 3 anal spines on this fish and to me is an opercularis form (opercularis, cf opercularis ? ).

Julien

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Lolojil, there are 3 anal spines. The dorsal edge of the caudal peduncle (at the end of the dorsal fin) shows a slight downward "notch" which is a characteristic of B. opercularis. B. sp. aff. opercularis has a more even dorsal line. Do you know from which river system your fish were collected?

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
OK, if Mike (and Lolojil) agreed that it´s an opercularis, it must be opercularis.

But, Mike, what´s about the "black chin". I read (on Römer´s) that it´s a characteristic of B. dicentrarchus.

Gamelle

5 Year Member
Thanks all for your answers

Mike, as far as I know, the specimens have been collected form Rio Negro River system, more precisely in the area of Caicubi.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
But, Mike, what´s about the "black chin". I read (on Römer´s) that it´s a characteristic of B. dicentrarchus.

Actually, the cheek patch is seen on all of the species. B. dicentrarchus is separated from the other species by the following:

fewer soft dorsal rays (7 instead of 8)
longer front dorsal fin rays on adult males
shorter caudal peduncle
usually 2 anal spines.

As much as I respect all of the work Dr. Römer has done with dwarf cichlids, I feel that he does not have a "taxonomist's eye" for seeing many of the subtle features that separate species. Therefore I tend to look very critically at his diagnostic features, often needing to ignore them as poorly defined.

BTW, the fish that Römer pictures in CA1, p. 1005 as B. cf. dicentrarchus is actually a 2-spine specimen of B. sp. aff. operuclaris.

Charly EON

5 Year Member
Hello

Thanks Mike for your detailed answer. Do you have a picture of B. dicentrarchus so that we can clearly see the difference ?

Do you think B. opercularis Tapajos (as seen in Buntbarsche amerikas Band 3 page 73) is the same species as the fish pictured by Gamelle ??

Thanks n advance for your reply

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Mike, thanks for your explanation.

BTW, the picture you mentioned (Römer´s CA1, page 1005) is the one I used to identify Gamelle´s fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hello

Thanks Mike for your detailed answer. Do you have a picture of B. dicentrarchus so that we can clearly see the difference ?

Do you think B. opercularis Tapajos (as seen in Buntbarsche amerikas Band 3 page 73) is the same species as the fish pictured by Gamelle ??

Thanks n advance for your reply

Yes, it seems that the Biotoecus specimens from the lower Amazon [Rio Trombetas to the Rio Branco (Rio Negro system)] are all very similar to the type B. opercularis from the Lago Saraca, near Manaus. This includes those from the Rio Tapajós. I have never seen photos of specimens from the upper Rio Madeira (Lagoa Abunã), so I can't comment on them.

Fabien

5 Year Member
Some pics of my Biotoecus : same shipment of Gamelle's Biotoecus.

They come from middle Rio Negro drainage (Caïcubi). With hindsight, the thinness of the body and their origin make my thinking of B. aff. opercularis middle and upper Rio Negro.

p0237890d136ca6.jpg

p0237790fe0fyu0.jpg

dsc7065rawessaidxofc1.jpg

dsc8242ys4.jpg

cichlidsforum-s.jpg

Gillie

5 Year Member
Actually, the cheek patch is seen on all of the species. B. dicentrarchus is separated from the other species by the following:

fewer soft dorsal rays (7 instead of 8)
longer front dorsal fin rays on adult males
shorter caudal peduncle
usually 2 anal spines.

As much as I respect all of the work Dr. Römer has done with dwarf cichlids, I feel that he does not have a "taxonomist's eye" for seeing many of the subtle features that separate species. Therefore I tend to look very critically at his diagnostic features, often needing to ignore them as poorly defined.

BTW, the fish that Römer pictures in CA1, p. 1005 as B. cf. dicentrarchus is actually a 2-spine specimen of B. sp. aff. operuclaris.

This detailed description is going to help me alot Mike. I am going to try for better photos for you tonight now that I have the time and a better camera. Even if my fish doesn't match the description 100% I'll send photos just in case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothygaw

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….