• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Biotecus opercularis & Laetacara buckelkopf

BoBzz

5 Year Member
Need any info you have on these guys i am planning on doing a large South American community with rare dwarfs and a few small eartheaters. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Randall

5 Year Member
Dwarf Community Tank

Dear BoBzz,

If you're looking for information concerning a variety of South American dwarf cichlids, I'd like to recommend Linke & Staeck's book, American Cichlids I - Dwarf Cichlids, Tetra-Press 1994, ISBN 1-56465-168-1. There you will find some very good information about Biotoecus opercularis, Laetacara sp. "Buckelkopf" and many others.

What eartheaters were you planning on mixing with dwarf cichlids, please? Many of them get quite large.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

BoBzz

5 Year Member
Well i searched around and couldnt find anyone selling either of the 2 books you mentioned if you know where I might obtain a copy of both please let me know!!! I was thinking of doing either a trio of Gymnogeophagus Labiatus or Balzani the tank is going to be at least 70 gallons.

Neil

You may well be able to locate L. dorsigera, as they are around "fairly" regularly. But B. opercularis doesn't show up in this country often because they are rare and not very good travelers. Imports of these fish are many times less than successful.

Well i searched around and couldnt find anyone selling either of the 2 books you mentioned if you know where I might obtain a copy of both please let me know!!!

Try contacting (PM) tjudy about these books. I bet he can find them for you. They should not be particularly difficult to get via the internet.

Neil

Randall

5 Year Member
L&S's Books

Dear BoBzz,

What is your name, please?

Both books recommended can be purchased, I believe, through the Apistogramma Study Group. Their web site is apisto.com. You should be able to get them through any major online book seller as well, or your local retailer can order them for you.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Randall

5 Year Member
BoBzz said:
I was thinking of doing either a trio of Gymnogeophagus Labiatus or Balzani the tank is going to be at least 70 gallons.

Dear BoBzz,

Both G. labiatus and balzani males can grow to 20 cm. in aquaria. Although rather peaceful, given their size, your little dwarf cichlids might get sucked up along with the substrate and flushed out of their gills!

Please understand that unlike many dwarf ciclids, Gymnogeophagus species are from the Paraguay River system and not the Amazon. Consequently, they do better in significantly cooler water than their equatorial heterospecifics. When keeping and breeding Gymogeophagus, it is recommended that the temperature be lowered to about 15 C for about a month each year to preserve their coloration. Fortunately, there are some dwarf cichlids from the same river drainage. One beauty is Laetacara dorsigerus. Another is Apistogramma borellii. At least these two species would do okay temperature wise, if they don't get stuck behind the Gymnogeophagus' gill plates.

If your looking to house dwarf cichlids with geophaginii, why not look to species of Biotodoma? B. cupido males, for example, only grow to about 14 cm., are quite peaceful and can be kept in the same water temperature as many dwarf cichlids.

It's your decision, of course, but you might not like having to pick a diminutive Biotoecus opercularis out of the mouth of a giant Gymnogeophagus with a pair of tweezers. :roll:

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

BoBzz

5 Year Member
@&#%@ *$^@ (#&$*@ !!!!!!!!! I so want to keep them together. Well I guess ill have to scrap that plan. I need to focus on my west african setup for now anyway so ill have some time to think more about it. What about Altum angels? with Pencilfish and Apistos? and maybe some Discrossus specs.? Thanks For all the help :-D Oh and my name is Sam.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….