• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best Plants to Create Territories

MapleNeil

I would like to use plants to create different territories within a tank for apistos. The plants would break up lines of sight and perhaps even form almost like hedges around different territories. What plants would be best for this?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I use plenty moss, wood, floating plants and structural leaf litter, along with <"African Fern (Bolbitis heudelotii)">, Floating Fern (Ceratopteris cornuta), Anubias (Anubias barteri) and a couple of Cryptocoryne spp. I have a lot of structure and a lot of plants, there is very little "open water".

img_0126-jpg.150545

These all <"survive at low nutrients and with low light">.

cheers Darrel

Samala

Beautiful jungle Darrel!

Rather than any one specific plant try to find one or two types that respond well in your particular tank parameters and let them run wild. In my tanks Rotala rotundifolia grows like a weed and fills all the available space. Frogbit, while a floating plant, also helps enormously as the roots grow and add more structure and essentially becomes a hedge with the Rotala.

A friend of mine can't keep Hygrophila difformis and Sagittaria from taking over but it doesn't like my tanks.

MacZ

I have great success with Egeria densa. Doubles as semi-floating, as it tends to carpet close to the surface, which is also usefil to anchor actuall floaters.

FishMonkey

Water wisteria & Amazon swords if you're looking for fast growing hard to kill plants. Larger crypts make great plants to weave through but they don't grow as fast.

Crypts are definitely my apistos favourite, I often find all 5 or my borelliis playing in 30cm squared area of crypts right at the front of the tank. Pro tip if you buy crypts split them into 3-5 smaller plants, they will grow much quicker then repeat or growth slows right down.

Adding a lot of rock and wood helps create hiding spots too, probably better than any plants can.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….