• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beginner Help needed. How many Macmasteri can I fit into a corner 55gal?

Fishface

Hi! Have had a male Macmasteri “Red Shoulder” in tank for about a month. He seems happy and spends most of his time chasing snails around. Especially in the duckweed on surface.

Tank is a corner 55gal w a few Cory, Von Rio tetra(most aggressive fish in tank), Runnynose, 1 Mini Panda Garra, couple Gourami.
it’s got a solid amount of live plants and a large piece of driftwood w many branches as centerpiece. Some rocks and couple small caves. Sand bottom.
Was going to add more caves and try to introduce a male “Red Neck Gold” Macmasteri” this afternoon. Wondering if this will become a nightmare or seems reasonable? Also wondering if I should add a female or two instead? If I put a couple females in can they be be different varieties or just Macmasteri? Can I put Red Neck female in w the Red Shoulder?
Thank you very much for the assistance!!!

Attachments

• BAFD49FB-749F-48B3-92EF-042156EDD68C.jpeg
    BAFD49FB-749F-48B3-92EF-042156EDD68C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 123

MacZ

I don't know where to begin and it's new years eve, so I'll have to postpone a detailed answer until next year.

But... keep an eye on it, two males of the same species (domestic strains or not, same species) can go wrong. Tank looks great, but maybe a bit lightly structured in the lower regions for dwarf cichlids. You don't need more caves, you first and foremost need to break lines of sight. Males usually take a territory of 60cm in diameter. Try to give them at least somewhat similarly sized spaces.
If you are not interested in breeding (it's a community tank after all), don't get any females. That will have a similar effect to the proverbial drop of blood in a piranha tank. I.e. aggression, stress and likelihood of dead fish at over 50%.

Good luck and until next year!

MacZ

As promised another post. But now reading my first post I haven't really anything to add.

Except: I see part of a dwarf gourami behind a piece of driftwood. Hope that one is single and doesn't wreak havoc all over.

Fishface

The Gourami are both fine and seem to get along w the Ram(especially well, they swim together) and 2 Macmasteri. Von Rio Tetra are the biggest bullies and getting removed from tank and put in a larger setup/sent back to store. They push almost everyone including the Apistos.
The 2 Macmasteri are getting along well. Think the store may have grabbed the wrong Red Neck Gold from tank and given me a female. Anyone able to gender ID from pics?

Attachments

• 764FA63F-7FE6-45B3-AD8A-FB5BEC3F73F0.jpeg
    764FA63F-7FE6-45B3-AD8A-FB5BEC3F73F0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 134
  • 2E4AF8FE-E3A6-423C-8EF6-A5715D4828F0.jpeg
    2E4AF8FE-E3A6-423C-8EF6-A5715D4828F0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 132

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….