• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beginner Apistos

summoner2183

Guys, just a question here... I am fairly new to Apistos, and if I were to try and keep them as a beginner, what species would you recommend I start with? Could you give me a Top 5 List of what you consider to be beginner Apistos? THanks.

papasmurf

5 Year Member
Cacatuoides is probably the easiest for most beginners...a few others though not in any particular order and partly based on availability and how "domesticated" they are in the hobby.

borelli, trifasciata, agassizi, macmasteri

I had really good luck with my first apisto which was steindachneri. I have really hard, alkaline tap water where I live and most apisto's I have kept in straight tap water have not fared too well (apart from cacatuoides) so I have kept most of the others I listed in RO water. I did have some success keeping alacrina in harder water and there may be others that do okay too if you have less than ideal water conditions but since I got an RO unit I don't chance it anymore.

mixmixi

I believe most apistos including cacatuoides require same level of care. The fact is there is no such thing called a 2begginer apistos" as you are talking about a living animal. It is like you say what is a beginner "dog" to start with? However, there are a certain forms of apistogramma which have been domesticated and thus they are "cheaper" to start with and cacatuoides is one of the cheapest ones and most available ones to start with. However, in my personal experience any apistos from trifasciata linegae (which includes cacatuoides complex) are relatively more sensitive from some other groups. :)

SmudgeR

Hi all I've just joined this forum but wanted to add to this thread which of the above named apistos is the least aggressive when spawning? And less likely to scare to death my other south American tank mates?

Mrs. Susie

I'm a first time apistogramma owner and from 2 unsexed juveniles I ended up with a breeding pair. My ph and hardness aren't very low at all. They've been healthy under various tank conditions since I had to separate them at first in 2 different community tanks (one used to chase the other really bad so I thought they were both males) and then reunited them in their own tank where they spawned within a week. So, this species at least for me seems not overly sensitive. Granted these are established tanks fully cycled and with lots of hiding places of rocks, leaves, logs, and alder cones so it's not some plastic-ornament painted rock tank. They were not aggressive at all with other species fish, when not breeding. I have not ever seen any of this species at local fish stores, I bought these off of craigslist. But supposedly in some areas they are pretty common. Mine look more like a 'wild type' macmasteri - there are some more colorful variations in the bred-for-the trade photos.

Attachments

• IMG_3301.JPG
    IMG_3301.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 793

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
  • Yes, A. macmasteri like Mrs. Susie's fish are not difficult to breed. They adapt to and breed in most water values that aren't 'liquid cement', just like A. borellii. They are a good fish for a 20 Long or larger. The reason I suggest A. borellii is because it is a smaller species, more peaceful and adapt to fluctuations in temperature much better. They are more peaceful than A. macmaster. Male Macs can be very territorial. I have read reports of a single male controlling a 2m/7ft long tank (obviously the tank needed more visual boundaries:D). A. borellii have been collected in pools in the wild at 50°F/10°C and handle most water values, too. Macs at lower temperatures tend to be disease-prone, where A. borellii are not. Still, if you have good tank maintenance, I would say either are a good place to start.

Mrs. Susie

Good to know about the A. Borelli since I like those also. I just have the one pair in a 20L right now so I haven't had to consider territoriality. And I did read in my Baensch book that the macmasteri will get quite large for an apisto.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….