• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Background for tank

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
We recently got a 70 gallon curved front glass aquarium for a really good deal. I had told myself I would never again buy a tank that's 30" high. So... I do!

At any rate, I'm looking for suggestions for the background. I'm not really looking to get a 3D type one on the inside. I would like a nice background for the back of the tank. I need it to be at least 30" high.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
paint.... I like a slightly darker than royal blue. A neat effect is to sponge it on so that there are different thickness to the paint. When the light shines on it from in the tank it will look textured.

Zack Wilson

5 Year Member
I second that. I actually use flat black spray-on paint from an aerosol can for all of my tanks. It's easy to scrape off with a razor blade too if you change your tastes.

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
Bit hard to do that now. It's been up and running with fish in it for a while. I need a suggestion of a plastic background or similar now. Seeing the wall behind the tank is not my ideal looking tank.:wink:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Get a thin sheet of styrofoam (styrine) insullation. Paint it any way you like and tape/glue it to the back of the tank. It has the added advantage of slowing heat loss in the tank during the winter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….