• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

awsome! What was the name again???

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I see no problem if one references a URL. At least you know to whom it belongs. My problem is with people who copy the photo and use it without some credit going to the person who actually owns it.

DaRe

5 Year Member
In Sweden the law is pretty clear on this topic and I think it is based on international copyright principles. You are not allowed to print or reproduce any photo without the photographers approval and this is valid for photo usage on a website aswell. And if the photo is linked and showed in the way that it seems it is stored on the local site (deep linking) the same rule applies. A link that is a reference and you need to click to see the photot is always ok. Thus it is not enough to show the photographers name, you need the approval.

I for sure think it is important to ask prior to any usage!

I'm on a project right now finding photos of as many different Apistos as possible and I always ask all photographers prior any usage!!
If you wish to contribute to this I would be more than glad!!
See how far I've come here:
http://www.ciklid.org/artregister/artreg_visa_slakte.php?ID=6

Each species have a set of photos, to see what we are lacking you can look here:
http://www.ciklid.org/artregister/artreg_saknade_bilder.php?geo=Sydamerika

a "0" means no photo.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
People are under the misconception that materials on the Web are free. While it is true that the knowledge you gain is free. The actual materials are all copyright protected. I see alot of people in other forums as well as this one posting others pictures without even giving the credit to the owners. I had a discussion with another forum admin regarding this copyright infringement and his understand was as long as the credit was given, it is ok. Obviously he didnt think it was necessary to get the proper approval.

Unless someone decides to sue the forum for copyright imfringement, it will continue to happen.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My understanding is that if one does not post the photo, but only the URL of the original owner, then this is equivalent to intellectual use rights approved by international copyright laws. Of course you can't use them for profit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….