• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

at what age can i see the difference????

X

xander

Who can help me,

My name is Xander de Wilde and i'm from the Netherlands. For a long time i'm looking for an answer to a question i have. For that answer i've read books and i've searched the internet, but with no result.
I've got two A. cacatoides in my tank and they look both the same. I bought them as an male and a female.
In the period i have them they both have turned yellow, buth they also
showed spawning behaviour.
There is no difference in dorsal, caudale fin size.
Tonight is saw them go together in side the breedingpot. after a while one,
the smaller one, came out. I saw that the caudale fin was damaged. The other one stayed in the breedingpot and started to defending it. I also saw that the color was changed from yellow too a 'black' dark brown coulor.

My question is: How old must a A. cacatoides fry be to tell the difference
between an male and a female???

Z Man

5 Year Member
Within a few months you should be able to tell the difference. Just check the ventral fins. The leading edge of a female will be solid black and the fin will be short. The male will have little or no black edging and the fin will have a long pointed extension.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….