• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are these nijsseni

gex18

5 Year Member
I have had these fish for about 6 monts now, and want to know if they are nijsseni? ALso are they difficult to breed(they have not showed any intereset in spawning yet, just bickering all the time), also is it safe to add another species of apisto (tank is 60 x 30 x 24", contains discus, cardinals zebra plecs and 5 apisto nijsseni!)? Pics below (is it possible to sex them?) Cheers guys!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/gex18/Picture063.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/gex18/Picture070.jpg

EDIT: Sorry - Although the pictures you posted are nice, they do not follow the Forum Rules regarding image size.

Please read this post for explanation.
Announcment

G

gvv

Looks like nijsseni to me, but I could be wrong, as I just started with apistos...

The second photo:
male on the left, female on the right - yellow with black spots.

Also I will not reccomend other species of apisto with them - they are very agresssive. Not such agressive as my kribs, but when I put two pairs (nijsseni and cacat.) in 20G, I had to remove Cacat. pair, even they wer twice bigger.

Regards

stina

5 Year Member
I think you have one panduro and one nijsseni, both males...
i could be wrong.
cheers!

scott

5 Year Member
all three fish in the pics are males (orange trim on caudal fin). in the second pic the fish on the right looks like it could even be A. baenschi (inca50). i could be wrong though the pics are a little blurry and i am not that great at this either. good luck

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Seems to be a pair of A. baenschi (formerly known as A. sp. Inka)

Females in this group (panduro, nijsenni and baenschi) always have the red trim on the tail.

Panduro and nijsenni females always have an obvious black spot on the body, which is jet black, and always visible.

Baenschi femalles will have the "tiger stripe" pattern on the body, which will be much more visible during the brooding period. The pattern will be very faint when not in the brooding phase. Males will have a faint tiger stripe pattern on the body.

Hope this helps!

scott

5 Year Member
David,

isn't it the males that have the orange(or red) trim on the tail

i have three pairs of A. baenschi and as far as i can tell the males have orange trimmed tails and the females have black ventrals.

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
I am not Mike but i will say they are not baenschi and are most probably nijsenni. Though in this group the female can have a orange crescent in the tail you are much more likely to see it in panduro and nijsenni and may be in older baenschi females.

Also at the size of the fish if it was baenschi it would have much more extended fins.

Haveing had a closer look at the pic and data i have availible i would say it is a panduro as the first 2 rays of the cardinal fin are exstended nijsenni do not normaly show this.

Are the fish wild or tank bread?

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Great... don't know what I was drinking when I posted my previous message!!
Even I have to disagree with myself!! loll

They seem to be A. nijsenni

Differences between females nijsenni and panduro
A. nijsenni will often have the opercullum (gill flap!) black in color, all the way to the pectoral fins. A. panduro will have a large black line from the eye to the botom of the operculum.
A. nijsenni will have a black spot at the base of the tail. A. Panduro has a black spot at the base, but it extends and tappers off all the way, or close, to the outter edge of the tail fin.

Here's a picture of my A. baenschi by comparison. She usually has a faint red edge on the tail which is not visible in the picture.
A%20baenschi%20mom%20with%20fry.JPG

scott

5 Year Member
thanks for the info. i didn't think thatbaenschi females could have orange trimmed tails. none of mine do. but i'm learning new things every day. hope i didn't confuse anyone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….