• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are my German Blue Rams A Pair

Tanja

Hello

I have a question, my LFS sold me these two as a Pair but to be honest I am not so sure about that, could you please tell me what you guys think.To me they both seem to be males.

Female:
IMG_20190512_180140.jpg

Male:
IMG_20190512_180116.jpg

Tanja

Please delete the other threads the window did not dissapear so I assumed my text wasn't posted I am sorry did not mean to spam

Tanja

Between 1.2 and 1.5 inch

But after I was observing them for a little bit and I took a closer look at their heads and the black spots I would say that I am pretty sure they are both females.. Whats your opinion?

Tanja

Fakt is that what they told me to be the male is a female but not so sure about the other one the head looks kind of roundly shaped and the black spot shows only blue skales when I shine at him with a torch under normal light only the small one shows iridescent in the spot

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
Try putting a partition in the tank to keep them separate but so they can still see each other.

To me based on the blue iridescence in only one fish's flank spots and not the other's, you should have a male and female. Better pictures to be sure would help verify as well.

Tanja

Like I said I can only see iridescent skales on the other fish with a torch. Without one I can't cant se any iridescent. Can it be a male eaven though it shows iridescent scales when I shine light direcktly at him or her without a torch 0 with a torch a little bit of dull iridescence .

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They are still young and don't show many sexual features. Add to that, these are a domestic strain. Domestic strains often emphasize male color even in females. I suggest giving them a month or 2 and see how they develop. With young fish and those whose sex can't be easily determined I always buy a minimum of 4 fish - 2 large and 2 smaller, but not the smallest. You're more likely to get both sexes this way.

AquaMart

5 Year Member
From the photograph - and as a former breeder - I would say you have two males, sorry. If one is a female it should have a pinkish blush on its belly.

Fish Folk

Can you take another shot from the side of the smaller one? With jeweling in the spot, it _may_ be a female. The belly should have a pink tinge rather than the yellow (male) or purple scaling. Try feeding brine shrimp for several days first. That brings out their full colors if your water quality is good. It also encourages spawning. (Side note— it’s consumption of brine shrimp that turns flamingo feathers pink)

Fish Folk

Also, per your photo labels, if you have a pair I think I’d presume the opposite of what you have labeled. The sure male GBR is the yellower one with more defined contrast. Note lack of jeweled scales in black side spot. The other one is either a juvenile male who is non dominant, or a female. Post a few side shots.

Uncle.Ned

5 Year Member
rams all have a black wide mark in the middle of the body ... with females there is usually shiny blue inside that middle black mark ... mature males are easy to tell because of the large fin extensions

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….