• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aquarium Backgrounds

strohl71

5 Year Member
Just hoping I can get the opinion of all you more experienced aquarists...

How important is having a "tank background" for my apisto tank? You know, the sheet type that you seal or tape the the back of the aquarium? They are available at all LFS and can have scenery or just be colored. My 38 gal is right up against a white wall and there is never any movement back there unless I am adjusting equipment, etc. (which is not too often) Does this type of back ground make the tank more "cave-like" and thus make the fish more secure?

farm41

5 Year Member
I paint most of mine(on the outside of course) a medium to dark blue. A dark colored background makes the fish feel a little easier, and less skittish.

IME
YMMV

mccidlee

5 Year Member
For tank-raised Apisto, background shouldn't be an issue, mine doing pretty well in tanks without background..

ming

Wey

5 Year Member
I've got black backgrounds but things like this are very nice too :)

I might try to make something like this in the distant future...
bak12sept02.jpg

Nice uh? :D

Leipo

5 Year Member
he used Styropor (don't know if it is named the same in English) plates which he carved into the desired shape and sealed the Styropor with Epoxy.

so with a little imagination and some tools everyone should be able to recreate such nice caves :D

Wey

5 Year Member
That's true, but I am curious how the inside of the caves look like... Looks pretty hard to paint it from the inside, or put epoxy on it whatever :)

My idea was to make the caves seperately and glue them on the background later or whatsoever (so you can make the inside nice too :p)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….