• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Appistos diet

newworldan06

5 Year Member
Some one told me that Apistos dont need the same protein diet as other cichlids do. Is this true?

Also are borelli picky eaters? They wont eat my flake food. I thought it might have been stale but I put some in my community tank and they anhilated it. The only thing my borelli have eaten is frozen brine, but I obviously cant feed them that every day. Would my borelli recognize a more stale taste in the food then my community. Otherwise I will just get them to eat my flake or they will die I guess, or go buy some spirunula.

W

Wadie025

Apisto Diet

This is not true, though their need for meaty foods is lower than that of there larger cousins ( O's, Severems, etc )

As with all fish a good varied diet is needed. And this includes the feeding of protein based feeds. The dwarf variety tends to prefer a mixed and balanced diet of frozen, live or flake.

It is good practice to feed them a different food source over a period of days and repeat. Currently i feed mine on frozen bloodworm, daphina, and brine shrip. But they will accept flake ( Though with a fuss ). The dwarfs are also fond of vegatables. So placing a slice of cumcumber ( Weighted down ) will provide a good food source. Though remember to remove and replace as it can play havoc with your water.

You can obtain a full diet in the likes of the Hakeria Pellets for chiclids, though these tend to be on the large side for the dwarfs. So a tip that i use is to place several of these pellets in luke warm ( Not hot, boiled ) and leave to soak for a few minutes. This causes the food to break down and then can be fed in smaller bitesize pieces for the dwarfs.

But in regards the question protein is needed, as it allows a fish to be healthy in growth and the provention of diesase. :?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….