• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos v.s Water Current

mikewang

5 Year Member
From seeing pictures of their natural biotope, i can imagine very very little water current in their tanks.

Im running a AC mini on a 10g and when my apisto cacs. come near the output, they get pushed a bit. im using the filter at half flow. should i make some modifications to lower the current?

mm12463

5 Year Member
I have a mini on my 10 gallon and keep a pair(least I hope they are) of Laetacara Dorsigera in it. I put a foam filter on the uptake. Although I wouldn't say it makes a dramatic impact it does help some. I also aim my out put at driftwood that I have that rises almost to the top of the tank. Si I think that deflects the water some and helps keep the flow dispersed.

aspen

5 Year Member
i like the ac mini's on tanks where i don't want the fish to breed. i use the foam insert from a fluval 2 tied at the end on the intake tube, and this will slow things down a bit. raising the water level right to the top seems to make the most difference. sliding the filter to the far right of the tank is good too. this minimises the rushing water to a smaller area. imagining riverine cichlids in a nice quiet current probably only visualises them at certain parts of the year. at other times the torrent is probably pretty strong when the rains come. this would not likely be their breeding times, as the babies would neer handle the current.

rick

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Does anyone know what species of Apistogrammas live with some current?

I have a 20 gallon with a UG filter with a power head. Currently( :lol: ) I have a pair of TR cacatuoides in that tank and they don't seem to care for the current. They are healthy and doing fine, but they seem to avoid large areas of the tank where there is current from the power heads.

Rather than toss out the power head, I'd like to replace the cacs with a species of Apisto that naturally inhabits water with current. While browsing Romers Cichlid Atlas, I noticed a habitat with current mentioned under a couple species. But I didn't write the names down and wasn't able to find them when I looked a short time ago.

Thanks,
Michael

Neil

I would have to look that one up myself, but I think that elongate species (with narrow bodies) are likely the apistos you are looking for. Agassizii-types!

Neil[/b]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….