• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistos In Non-Planted Tanks

cyno afra

5 Year Member
Hi.

I've haven't had much luck with keeping plants in my aquariums and generally use silk plants. I have lost the appeal of slik plants, and in my Rift Lake tanks I no longer use any. I am still looking into keeping Apistos and wondered if it is possible to house Apistos in all rocky tanks, with cobbles and pebbles as decor?

Thanks.:)

tleehm

5 Year Member
Make sure the rocks and decores are inert, can't think of any reason why not.

What about the use of drift wood instead? The tanin can only soften the water, whilst some rocks may have minerals that bumps the pH up and harden water.

Thomas.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most apistos in the wild live in areas without aquatic plants. They live among fallen leaves, driftwood, and in places rocks. I do recommend using Java Moss if you can get it. It grows in most tanks and lighting conditions.

cyno afra

5 Year Member
Thanks for your replies. I will try and get some wood, I just don't know if I want silk plants anymore, some look very realistic, some don't. I am looking into Apistos again as shelldwellers are not available in any LFS near me, and I would rather buy fish that are available to buy in shops (which Borelli & Cockatoos are), rather than ordering fish for delivery, which I remain unsure about. The fish available are Orange Flash Cockatoos, and Opal Borelli.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….