• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma with black ghost knifefish

Theo1994

Hello dear community,

Im setting a 60''x20"x24" tank. I m thinking of adding 1 male cacatuoides, 1 male agassizii, maybe a bolivian ram along with some melanotaenias and a black ghost knifefish, as a centerpiece. Do you think the dwarf cichlids will grow to be a pricey snack? Has anyone set up something like this? Tanks gonna be planted and I ll provide rocks and wood to form caves mainly for the ghost, but I can spare some caves etc for the apistos. Do you think long term it can work?

Thanks in advance.

MacZ

Depending on the size of the knife fish and the cichlids, respectively, an Apistogramma or Microgeophagus may very well end up as live food. I would not do it. You might want to look into docile and robust cichlids the size of Cleithracara maronii, Cichlasoma (proper) or smaller Geophagus to go with a ghost knife.

Theo1994

Hello sir and thanks for the reply.

The apisto will probably be 2 to 3 inches and the ghost will be purchased at the same length, probably bigger than an agassizii but smaller than an adult cacatuoides. Yes I m getting bad vibes about the bgk and apisto coexistence, but I thought it's better to ask if someone has any experience on it. There are some nice geophagi on stock in my lfs, is purchasing one geophagus ok? Im certainly not having 5 geophagus at my 125, just asking because i read online they like to school too.

Thank you for your time.

MacZ

Geophagus are shoaling fish, so a group is advised.
I don't think you will get a ghost knife at that small size, though. Also while the knife is nocturnal, Apistogramma are diurnal, meaning the knife will keep the Apistos from sleeping. Really bad mojo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….