• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma trifasciata biotope (Planning)

Matteo ITA

Matteo ITA

After several months and many problems this is a photo of the tank:

Pantanal acquario Maggio 2014.JPG

I have add several plants only two weeks ago and I hope they'll grow fast.

Plants
Echinodorus grandiflorus
Echinodorus bolivianus
Egeria najas
Potamogeton gayi
Fish (temporary)
5 x Corydoras aeneus + 2 young
1 x Paracheirodon innesi

I'll probably add:
1M+2F Apistogramma borelli (and not A. trifasciata)
10x Aphyocharax rathbuni

What do you think? Do you have any advice?

Thanks,
Matteo.

Last edited:

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Looking good, I like the Potomageton. The only change I would make is add some more cover. It could be structural dead leaves, coconut caves etc.

cheers Darrel

Matteo ITA

Hi all,
Looking good, I like the Potomageton. The only change I would make is add some more cover. It could be structural dead leaves, coconut caves etc.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for your answer :) The Potamogeton is invasive: I have started with 7 stems and now it covers all the floor. Indeed the floor is covered by the Potamogeton and not by the E. bolivianus! But the result is good imho.
I agree with you; I'll add some coconut caves and dead leaves.

I add other information.
Fish
20 x Aphyocharax rathbuni
1M+2F x Apistogramma borelli
5 x Corydoras aeneus
Plants
Potamogeton gayi
Echinodorus bolivianus
Echinodorus gradiflorus
Egeria najas

ph 6,8 kh 3 gh 5 Temp 26°C
No fertilization in water.

Matteo ITA

Italiano anche tu? :) Grazie del complimento :)

La pianta alta è L'Echinodorus grandiflorus: dovrebbe crescere fino ad uscire dalla vasca.

Tha tall plant on the back is Echinodorus grandiflorus: it should grow and come out of the tank.

Matteo ITA

Wonderful, what apisto you are going to keep?
P.s.
Cedi qualche pianta?

In my new setup I'll have the same fish of these tank: Apistogramma borelli, Aphyocharax rathbuni and Corydoras aeneus.
Sfortunatamente passo ad un nuovo allestimento perchè ho avuto un blocco del filtro in concomitanza con la caduta accidentale di molto cibo in vasca durante la mia assenza che ha comportato un'esplosione di alghe che non sono riuscito a controllare. Ho buttato via gran parte delle piante, mi spiace. Ma in Italia non sono difficili da trovare!

Larry Rogers

5 Year Member
Thanks for the answer Mike :)

I like them! I've read they are different from other Corydoras because they usually swim in the middle levels of the tank.

What do you think about this idea:
1M + 2F Apistogramma trifasciata A204
10 Aphyocharax rathbuni
10 Corydoras hastatus

Too much fish?

For the plants, I've found this site with a list of plants in Paraguay basin. There are four common species of Echinodorus: quadricostatus, magdalensis, tenellus and grandiflorus. My tank is opened, and the idea of a big E. grandiflours emersed is interesting....
I have found that hastatus so better in shoals of twenty or more. You will oiregularly find pygmaeus in shops as hastatus. Hastatus the lateral dark line is not bordered by lighter colored lines and has a break at the operculum picking up again at front of eye. Pymaeus the line is finer, is bordered, and continues unbroken through eye. The species will shoal together and sometimes hybrodize. Hybrids tend to be sickly and survive poorly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….