• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Tank mates

apistopete

5 Year Member
Hi,

New to this so go easy please :)

I have a 120l heavily planted tank and looking to keep some form of dwarf cichlids, preferably Apistogramma.

1- in this size of tank how many pairs of Apistogramma can be housed without problems?

2- Would a form of Ram be compatible with Apistogramma?

3- what would recommended dither fish be to accompany these species. Looking for something colourful as it will be a focal point in my room. I have many in mind but I know I have limited tank capacity.

4- Is oxygenation bubbles from the filter power head important with theses species and help keeping the live plants in top condition?

Any advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi..

My experience with 2 pairs is- that you then will need more than 2 pairs!!??.. more like 6-12 "youngsters"/juveniles of one species , to get some kind of terrorbalance in the tank. (To let them find their partners after a while)
If you buy and keep 2 pairs the stronger male will hunt the weaker ..a lot !!
Many Apistos are also polygamous and can breed with more than one female in a short period of time--> the dominant one will establish a territory as large as possible to keep as many females as possible!!

You will also have to put a lot of plants,roots, leafs in the tank..to give protection for the Apistos that will not be the most dominant one. In that way the Nr 1 in the hierarki can not control/overview(??) the whole area in the tank!!
I once kept 10-12 Ap.trifasciata (1,5cm) together with 8-10 Ap. baenschi (1cm). The trif.got fry which I removed after a few days (to save a few from getting eaten by the others). In a month or so the baenschi grew faster than the trif. and got fry too..
Since then I´ve learnt not to put a "small-mouth" Apisto with a "big-mouth" Apisto unless they are relatively larger in size !! (Never the opposite mix and never 2 pairs only..)

In a long 120L(70cm<) tank I`d probably focus on one pair of Apisto and get a school of Sundadanio axelrodi "blue" or "green" ,and a friendly, nice fish at the surface ..Pseudoepiplatys annulatus..
If you choose a small Apisto with small mouth I would also go for Boraras birgittae/ maculata.
Pseudomugil cf.paskai/iriani is one nice fish too.
One recommendation is to avoid tetras(at least big tetras)..they will eat and then pollute the water a lot.. They are very quick in catching the food..(compared to Apistos..) and eat until they burst!!??
You can mix the food (defrost,not in micro:)??) in a cup of water before feeding them.. Then the food will get down to the Apistos too.. when pouring it in..

Rams can be quite robust and protective.. I have never kept them with Apistos. If you do, it might be good to have an elongated species of Apisto.. to avoid a moment of irritation for the Rams?? (Reminding of themselves.."bodywise"??)
Maybe try to have an area/section with caves and one without.. http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/fake-or-male-rams.17529/#post-84670
In your position I would try to keep 6-8 Rams + one pair of Apisto..+ others..

A tank with much aeriation lower the amount of CO2 (which your plants love.. ) If I use any filter pumps , I decrease their strength to a minimum.. Slowflow!!
The greatest amount of oxygen in a tank you need are for the sake of several good bacterias, living in the sand doing their "decomposing work".
And , if you have a well functioning planted tank and don`t pollute/overload the water with restproducts, you rarely have a need for "extra" oxygen!! (Many Apistos and other fishes lives in "pondlike" non flowing waters, they are very tolerant)

Good luck !
And don`t forget Mike W......" A community tank is not a breeding tank !!!";)
(If you want lots of fry to survive,you will often have to remove others)

/MickeM

Last edited:

apistopete

5 Year Member
Thanks very much for your input Mike.

Will look into some of these options. :)

I want to have a peaceful yet vibrant community tank. I have kept many fish in the past but after years it's like starting all over again, wetting the fingers again so to speak.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you want a community tank then I recommend just keeping 3 or 4 males of different species/shapes/finnage together. They will interact, but usually not become overly aggressive.

apistopete

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike,

What are your reccomendations on dither fish?

Again I am slightly restricted with numbers with a 120l tank.

Thanks again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….