• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp. Blue

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I just got a pair of Apistogramma sp. Blue that are wild caught from Peru. These are not the infamous "Steel Blue" but something different.

Has anyone had, seen, or heard of these?
Any info such as origin, water preferences, natural habitat details, etc.?

Thanks,
Michael

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Rick,

They're definitely not trifasciata as I have those also.

I got them from Ken Davis of fishfarmusa. He says they are part of the regani complex. I sent him a e-mail posing these same questions. I'm waiting to hear back from him.

Here is a link to his auction of these on aquabid. There is a picture if you scroll down the screen part way.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcichlids&1087223103

Michael

aspen

5 Year Member
sorry, i haven't got an answer for 2 species names a. blue. or steel blue which isn't a species. why even CALL fish different names. 1 fish 2 fish red fish blue fish. simple huh?

maybe one of the guys around here who speak latin could shed some light.

rick

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The double "caudal patch" & color pattern indicate that this is a form of A. sp. Pebas. A. sp. Blue has been used for other Peruvian apistos in the past, most notably by the Panduros for A. sp. Tahauayo.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Thanks guys,

Is "Pebas" included in Romers Atlas?
I couldn't find Pebas in it, but wondered perhaps if it was described by another name.

I also read up about them on some previous posts. Here is a link to a descriptive thread from March:
http://forum.apistogramma.com/viewtopic.php?t=1622&highlight=pebas

I'm still not sure where my sp. Blue fits in, I think I'll have to re-read the pebas thread 2 or 3 times; slowly! :wink: :lol:

Michael

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Dave,

What is the make up of volume 2 atlas?

How many apisto species?
Like what % apistos? (for example vol 1 was about 90% apistos)
What % other cichlids?
Only South Americans, etc.?

Thanks,
Michael

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mike I really wont know until I get there and look at it. There are new graphs and experiment results including one on the best way to hatch brine shrimp! Cause of the cost of them over there Uwe's a little obsessed.
I do know that it's only SA's

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Dave,

Sounds great! I was planning to get it all along anyhow. :wink: The questions were just out of curiousity. I'm sure he covers many of the new apistos that have come out since the first volume. If it's anywheres as thorough as his first volume, it'll no doubt be very helpful.

Let me know when you have some available to sell. I expect it'll be awhile seeing that it's still in the draft stage.

Michael

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….