• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma lifespan?

M0oN

5 Year Member
Does anyone know off the top of their head what the average lifespan of most apistogramma is in captivity?

I'm most interested in panduro, but curious to all of them as my LFS informed me that they don't order apisto's because of their short lives...

farm41

5 Year Member
2-3 years, much depends on the quality of the water you keep them in. The cleaner it is the better and the longert the fish will live, provided they get a nutritional diet.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
they are certainly somewhat short lived but i've got some apistos that are now well over three years of age. the longest lived species is supposedly A. hongsloi which can live 7 years and take 1 1/2 to mature to adulthood. Fortunately, they will breed at usually half the adult size and between 3-9 months of age in most cases. I would think any of the species that are related to panduro would live closer to the 3 yr. mark ands probably longer if the conditions are right. If you keep the fish a little bit more on the cooler side (no higher then 74) their metabolism should be slower and therefore live longer. Do be aware that temperature has a big affect on sex ratios in most species.

mervin

5 Year Member
I had a Agassizii that lived up to 4+ years.

1/3 of its head was even wasted due to "hole in the head" but that fella managed to live up to another 1 year before it died.....

M0oN

5 Year Member
I'll keep hte temperature thing in mind, does anyone happen to know at what temperature variations in sex ratio's occur and which temperature is related to which ratio?

The only other fish I'll have in the tank are praecox rainbow's and pineapple sword tail's, along with some cory cats (if the apisto's tolerate them) otocinclus and snails...I can do my own research but off the top of your head does anyone know if these fish will have any problems with lower temperatures?

Thanks again...

Jason

fishboy20

5 Year Member
low temperature's = more females lower then 76
high temperature's = more males higher then 76
i would try to keep temperature around 76 as close as possible to get almost an even ratio

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hi

I had a female Borellii that lived for eight years! Very unusual of course.
Her eyes looked very strange in the end.
But I´m not surprised if they normally reach 2-3 years.

Best regards/ Per

Neil

Per,
Congratulations! I think that has to be a record. My best is 4.5 years. But I average somewhere between 2 and 3. I suspect that the stresses of breeding don't help. If an apisto was kept in a nice planted tank that was well maintained and water values and tankmates were not changed often, you would see some longer lifespans. But then again, they would be missing all that fun! If I were to personify Apistogramma, I would say that they would be happy to give up a little extra time in order to fulfill their need to reproduce. I like to think that both my fish and I are OK with that.

Neil

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hello Neil!

Sorry, but I didnt noticed your reply!
I think you are right about that a hectic life with a lot of breeding and territorial fights, shortens the lifespan of our apistos!
My very old Borellii (Opal) female lived alone in a tank with a few guppy for several years.
It was back in those years when a lot of people thought that the "Opal´s" was a geografical colour strain of the Borellii. (Some even believed that it was a new species)
I was one of them. And I was waiting for some Opal males to show up to join my lonely female.
I didn´t wanted to put her into a tank with my "yellow" Borellii´s.

I couldn´t find any opal males, so the female remained in that tank and lived happily(?) for eight years!

Best regards/ Per

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….