• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apistogramma ID

Remon

5 Year Member
Hi all,

Could anyone of you provide me with a certain ID for this female? Was bought in a batch of wildcaught bitaeniata Rio Nanay, but clearly isnt. I assume it came in with the same shipment so possibly also Nanay, but can't be certain. I'm thinking in the direction of panduro, nijsseni, baenschi, but doesn't show more color than this.

Many thanks!

20200507_110235.jpg
20200506_132129.jpg

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
I was leaning towards a male nijsseni-group but the colors are very odd. I've not seen anything like this before. Posting to be notified when someone more experienced replies ;)

Remon

5 Year Member
Thanks!
Yes it pretty much always looks like this, with the yellow first half usually less prominent. Sometimes more prominent black spot on the abdomen. First dorsal fin rays appear to be black.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
At first I thought that it might be a "Brustband" form of A. panduro, but none of the other dark markings are at all like those of A. panduro. Most of the other dark markings resemble those of A. baenschi, somewhat. I honestly don't know what species it is.

Remon

5 Year Member
I made some more, don't know it that helps. Thanks for the advice in any case!
IMG-20200509-WA0021.jpg
IMG-20200509-WA0020.jpg
IMG-20200509-WA0018.jpg

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Hybrid? I once had a batch of A. rositae (wild) that spawned shortly before the male passed. The resulting fry looked like A. rositae but according to the person I gave them to (7 fish, equal sexes approx.) they never had success spawning. They assumed they were hybrids. I don't know all the details, however.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Could it be some form of A. sp. oregon? that somehow came in with a Rio nanay shipment. Maybe from a fishermens holding tank or so? dunno. just a thought.

-r

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I highly doubt it. A. sp. Oregon has a large caudal spot that covers most of the base of the tail - 3X larger than on your fish. The dark operculum on your fish reminds me more of that on females of A. nijsseni, A. sp. Nijsseni-New or A. sp. Matses. These species, however, do not show a 'breast band' like your fish, nor black pigment on the lower part of the caudal peduncle.

CRD

Drayden, to me that person's statement seems to be an excuse for not trying hard enough. A. rositae is not the easiest apisto to breed
It wasn't so much a lack of spawning success, they were quite prolific spawners. It was the lack of viable fry coupled with the deformed scales/scale rows that led me to believe they were inadvertent hybrids.

Remon

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot for your thoughts guys! Should it show a more prominent pattern someday, I will try a get another picture. For know I assume it will stay a bit of a mystery lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….