• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma group fish?

Yo-han

5 Year Member
A while ago I found a video which showed dwarf cichlids in nature. But instead of the usual pairs I saw them swimming in small groups. I believe they were Apistogramma but I can't find the video anymore. Do Apistogramma live in groups/schools in nature?

And if so, would this be possible to replicate in a large aquarium or would you advise against it and take several pairs of different species instead?

abrooks12376

My lfs keeps many apistos In group tanks. If 20 panduro can chill in a 20 breeder I don't see why you couldn't pull it off. Lots of tall plants and caves!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, apistos are known to form large communities. Each fish tries to defend a territory of its own within the group. Is it possible in an aquarium? Yes, if it's a large tank. Say about 10,000 gallons/4.000 L. A biotope in the wild is a pretty big place!;)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My lfs keeps many apistos In group tanks. If 20 panduro can chill in a 20 breeder I don't see why you couldn't pull it off. Lots of tall plants and caves!

Yo-han asked if it was possible to replicate a large apisto community in an aquarium. What you suggest is more like a feedlot/stockyard. This is far from natural.

abrooks12376

Yo-han asked if it was possible to replicate a large apisto community in an aquarium. What you suggest is more like a feedlot/stockyard. This is far from natural.
I understand the question, I was just stating that's it can be done in the most undesirable conditions (barren, small tank) so why not a big, naturalistic type tank? I'm no expert but I'd think it would be a good one!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Territoriality. In a crowded, bare tank no fish can establish and maintain a territory. Mayhem is spread out more or less evenly. In a decorated tank, it is very different. I would expect losses until the population was 'weeded' down to a manageable number. So, the bigger the tank the more likely a large community will be possible.

abrooks12376

Territoriality. In a crowded, bare tank no fish can establish and maintain a territory. Mayhem is spread out more or less evenly. In a decorated tank, it is very different. I would expect losses until the population was 'weeded' down to a manageable number. So, the bigger the tank the more likely a large community will be possible.
Excellent point. perhaps a Sandy bottom open tank with lots of.leaf litter and little structure would be better? Something that is constantly shifting and changing..

Yo-han

5 Year Member
Its a fully planted 1000L tank with lots of wood and a large sand area in the front. Like Mike already said, I want them to thrive, not stressed to the point that they accept each other. Below is a picture of the tank: 195x80x65. Who dares to make an educated guess about the number of apistos from a moderately aggresive species like papagei...

Yo-han

5 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1434041770118.jpg

O, and all plants in front of the stones will be gone if I go for the apisto group.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I can't give a number. I will say, although beautiful your tank doesn't contain enough structure to house a large number of specimens peacefully. Now if the bottom was also covered with a 4"/10cm layer of loose leaves it could house 50 - 100, or even more apistos - like in the wild.

Yo-han

5 Year Member
It looks quite empty but this photo is from the day I planted the tank, but is already getting full and will be overgrown by the time the apisto's come. Some leaves here and there wouldn't look bad I guess but 10 cm would give me way too many tannins in the water for my liking for this tank. I got tannin stained water in my paludarium and I love that, but this one needs to be crystal clear. 50-100 is way more than I expected. I was thinking 20-25...

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Its a fully planted 1000L tank with lots of wood and a large sand area in the front. Like Mike already said, I want them to thrive, not stressed to the point that they accept each other. Below is a picture of the tank: 195x80x65. Who dares to make an educated guess about the number of apistos from a moderately aggresive species like papagei...
Three males and plenty of females (10?).

cheers Darrel

Larry Rogers

5 Year Member
A while ago I found a video which showed dwarf cichlids in nature. But instead of the usual pairs I saw them swimming in small groups. I believe they were Apistogramma but I can't find the video anymore. Do Apistogramma live in groups/schools in nature?

And if so, would this be possible to replicate in a large aquarium or would you advise against it and take several pairs of different species instead?
Many apistos actually breed in groups. Usually males set overlapping territories and service several females each. I usually set up tanks for aggassizi with two males and five females in a fifty-five. Sometimes all females will brood at the same time.

Yo-han

5 Year Member
Well, today I bought a group of borelli. I picked them because IME they are one of the least aggressive apisto's so I could make the group larger compared to other species. It is the yellow faced form. They looked already beautiful in the wholesalers tank so I couldn't resist. I bought 8 males and 12 females. I've them in quarantaine now so we will see what happens next month.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….