• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Gigas described

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, Rolo mentioned this on the forum 12/30/14; it's hard to beat Rolo to such news.:) I must say this is the strangest apisto out there. This species is less apisto-like than Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis. I do agree with the authors that A. kullanderi is related to the regani-group. I just can't find a place for it in any of the present regani-group species-complexes. Very odd species.

ErtyJr

I think they are gorgeous, and so unique looking! Has anyone ever seen them for sale? I'm sure they command a hefty price tag.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apistos sold as "A. sp. Gigas II" were sold in Europe and Asia about a year ago. They went quickly, and for BIG money, sold to professional breeders who hoped to make a killing on offspring. I saw photos of these fish. They were not A. kullanderi, but A. sp. Peixoto (not A. sp. aff. Peixoto, a form of A. sp. Xingu) or something close to it. We never saw fry from them or heard a comment from any of the breeders who bought the fish.

ErtyJr

Apistos sold as "A. sp. Gigas II" were sold in Europe and Asia about a year ago. They went quickly, and for BIG money, sold to professional breeders who hoped to make a killing on offspring. I saw photos of these fish. They were not A. kullanderi, but A. sp. Peixoto (not A. sp. aff. Peixoto, a form of A. sp. Xingu) or something close to it. We never saw fry from them or heard a comment from any of the breeders who bought the fish.
Man, it's a shame to know likely no one got them spawning, else we would have heard something. Even if they were not A. Kullanderi still a shame.

The moment I saw the pictures of this fish, back when it had first been described, it became number one on my most wanted list. Something about the colors and natural beauty in this fish I truly enjoy. It's too bad it will likely be many years before I ever see one.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Man, it's a shame to know likely no one got them spawning, else we would have heard something. Even if they were not A. Kullanderi still a shame.

I'm sure they were reproduced. There is just no market for them - and my guess is that these breeders are a bit embarrassed about spending so much money for a non-profitable fish. Not everyone is like me: into ugly apistos.:D

The moment I saw the pictures of this fish, back when it had first been described, it became number one on my most wanted list. Something about the colors and natural beauty in this fish I truly enjoy. It's too bad it will likely be many years before I ever see one.

If the demand is there, someone will try to find the species again; Marco (Lacerda), where are you when we need you!:(

ErtyJr

I'm sure they were reproduced. There is just no market for them - and my guess is that these breeders are a bit embarrassed about spending so much money for a non-profitable fish. Not everyone is like me: into ugly apistos.:D

If the demand is there, someone will try to find the species again; Marco (Lacerda), where are you when we need you!:(

Indeed, we truly do need him! But maybe he should wait a bit as I don't have a tank for them untill I move into my house! If you're gunna go get em Marco, wait for a bit for me!

And I love even the ugly Apistogramma sp. Problem is I don't yet have the tanks for them so I have to be selective about my choices! Some day I will collect em all =P

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sadly, Marco no longer operates Trop Rio/Apisto Haven. He used to send collectors to locations no other exporter even thought about. The list of Brazilian fish that he exported - and no longer commercially available - is very long indeed.

ErtyJr

Sadly, Marco no longer operates Trop Rio/Apisto Haven. He used to send collectors to locations no other exporter even thought about. The list of Brazilian fish that he exported - and no longer commercially available - is very long indeed.

Man that is quite sad :( do you have any idea why mike?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Legal problems with a partner; he lost. He tried to get a new export license, but ex-partner had 'friends in high places', plus his views on the environmental impacts of dams in the Amazon didn't make him popular with the bureaucracy. Needless to say his application was denied.

ErtyJr

Legal problems with a partner; he lost. He tried to get a new export license, but ex-partner had 'friends in high places', plus his views on the environmental impacts of dams in the Amazon didn't make him popular with the bureaucracy. Needless to say his application was denied.

That only makes the issues even more sad. What a world we live in >.<

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….