• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Eunotus

natczer

5 Year Member
Hello.

I have just acquired a pair of Apisto. Eunotus. Just wondering what people have experienced with them. Breeding conditions/difficulty etc...

Thanks,

Natalie

smileandnod

5 Year Member
Hi.

I have a pair of these (least I think so), and they bred about three weeks after arriving home. I keep them in straight RO, although the water seems to be around 60ppm in the tank. Ph is about 7.

I didn't have to do anything special, just feed them, and away they went. They seem to be pretty easy.

Ian.

mervin

5 Year Member
All i can say is that the male is a very good father.

mine spawned in my 580 L tank and he managed to hold back 9 Heckles Discus and 4 huge Altum Angles !!!!

:lol:

cdawson

5 Year Member
after researching it for the good part of the day, I'm 99.9% sure it's A. Eunotus. Is this the only species that holds the common name blue cheeked dwarf cichlid?

Mervin: that's good to hear, the male has already taken to the two females. They're too young to breed yet, but at least that's a good sign.

natczer

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone...

They are pretty fish and not at all shy...I will see how I go with them.

Natalie

aspen

5 Year Member
>>'They're too young to breed yet...'

you may be surprised at how small a pair can be to breed successfully. while i've not kept eunotus, i've had very tiny apistos, rams and other dwarfs breed. ime, if they can show their breeding colours, they may be ready.

rick

cdawson

5 Year Member
aspen said:
>>'They're too young to breed yet...'

you may be surprised at how small a pair can be to breed successfully. while i've not kept eunotus, i've had very tiny apistos, rams and other dwarfs breed. ime, if they can show their breeding colours, they may be ready.

rick

That's really good to know, one of my females has already been showing her breeding colours and hanging around an open knot in a large piece of driftwood.

natczer

5 Year Member
Have fry!

Well...

I now have fry...after all my efforts with various apistos to no avail my eunotus spawned in my community tank without me even noticing...Don't know how many will make it as I have some nasty barbs and very big silver sharks in there but at the moment the female is doing a good job keeping everyone away. Just wish I'd noticed in earlier and could have moved the female and the eggs.

Natalie

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
after researching it for the good part of the day, I'm 99.9% sure it's A. Eunotus. Is this the only species that holds the common name blue cheeked dwarf cichlid?

I hate to add confusion to this "species", but since you asked I had to reply. The true A. eunotus has never been reported in the hobby. It occurs in an area of the Rio Ucayali near Campo Verde, Peru - an area that hasn't been commerically collected. It is a deep-bodied fish, deeper bodied than any of the eunotus forms lately seen in the hobby. The fish that has been in the hobby, and most closely resembles the true A. eunotus, is a form we had back in the late 70s & early 80s. This form, A. cf. eunotus (Shahuayo) or Pink Apisto, comes from the same general area. Unfortunately it hasn't been seen in the hobby for many years.

The fish in the hobby that we presently call A. eunotus, A. sp. eunotus Orange-tail/Santa Ana/Willy, etc. is from farther up the Ucayali, is noticably more slender, and has slightly different black markings. I couldn't say for certain, but I suspect that this is the 'A. eunotus' that was pictured. This species typically shows a blue colored gill cover, and is probably the reason why it has been called the blue-cheeked apisto. It, however, is not the first or only apisto that had this common name. The traditional form of A. sp. Rotpunkt has been call the Blue-cheek Apisto for many years.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
OK, but the fish pictured at http://www.apistogramma.com/cms/Apistogramma_Valid_Taxa/Apistogramma_eunotus/A._eunotus/
is A. cf. eunotus Orange-tail/Orangeschwanz/Santa Ana/Willy - not the true A. eunotus from the type locality. The problem with the A.-eunotus-complex of species is that we know very little about the distribution of the various forms - especially in the middle range of the Rio Ucayali. It's possible that there is a gradation between the deep-bodied holotype form of A. eunotus in the upper Ucayali and the less deep-bodied forms of the lower Ucayali. If so, it could indicate that these forms all represent a single, polymorphic species. Until we are certain, I feel it is best to consider them separate, but closely related forms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….