• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma eunotus? Any males?

Somethin Fishy

I have recently acquired what I think is 1 x very shy adult male and 1 x adult female and 4 juveniles what I think I understand are Apistogramma eunotus.
At the moment they are all in a 50 litre tank with loads of plants and wood and hidey places, I am in the process of setting about another 50 litre tank to put a trio in to attempt to breed.
I have attached some rather rubbish pics of some of the juvenile fish, I think they are all females? Anybody see any maybe males in there?
Very keen to get these things to breed I understand that they could be the only Apistogramma eunotus in New Zealand.
IMG_0625.jpgIMG_0659.jpgIMG_0700.jpgIMG_0714.jpgIMG_0720.jpgIMG_0732.jpgIMG_0737.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You're right, the fish are young and the photos not great. Realize that young male A. cf. eunotus will look very much like mature females. That being said, if I had to guess I would say that the fish in the 6th photo is an immature male. Give them some time to mature and see what happens.

Somethin Fishy

Thanks for your reply. The fish in pic 6 does have a lot more blue in the face if that points to anything?

I am going to split them up to encourage spawning, by separating the big male and two biggest females and leave the others to grow and mature.

I am setting up a new tank with silica sand, java moss, coconut ‘cave’, terracotta pot and saucer and some Indian Almond leaves.

Would you be more inclined to move the adults to the new tank to encourage them to spawn or move the younger fish?
I had been thinking I would move the adults one at a time with the females first over a week?

Would it make any difference? Thanks for your help.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. cf. eunotus is one of the 'easy' apistos to breed. If you are setting up a tank specifically for breeding, then this is where the breeders should go. I suggest (conservative) that each of the females have an area approx. 30 cm square for a territory and the male a little for himself. Your 50 L tank might be a bit small for a trio, but it is worth trying. A. cf. eunotus isn't one of the more aggressive species. Just make sure that the decor provides for at least 2 well defined breeding territories. Add all 3 at the same time. This allows the females to establish territories and a 'pecking order'. The male is usually ignored at this time or even intervenes if things get too out of hand.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buthag

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….