• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma erythrura

Duxdad

I recently purchase what was sold as a pair. Looking for any information on best conditions for raising and breeding. I have the pair in a 20 long, rock piles at each end with Java fern and some moss's in between and a clay breeding hut. So far they are extremely shy and don't spend a lot of time with each other although they do "spar" when they are together. Also would like to confirm they are male and female
The attached picture shows what I "think" is the female and off to the leftyou can barely see what I "think" is the male because of the more prominent blue sparkles around his head.
Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Apistogramma erythrura.jpg

Duxdad

Additionally, I have two young long fin paleatus with them. Would addition of some diter fish help them? What kind?
Thanks again

rasmusW

5 Year Member
hi!

i think you need to post more/better pictures to get any help. to difficult to tell anything from this one.
one other note. i think you should consider fine sand instead of the gravel. something for the fish to sift for food.
also, how big are they?

-r

Duxdad

The fish in the middle is a male. I have never seen a female with a red caudal. Remove the corys; they are a distraction.
Thanks for the not so good news :) Any idea where I could pick up a female or two. Was really hoping to breed them. I know they are not common.
Thanks

Aquaticloch

I agree with mike, you have a dominant male on the left and a less dominant one on the right.
Are you located in Canada by chance? I have 2 extra adult female erythrura.

if you are located in the United States if not wetspot or apistogramma breeders on band.us have them often!

Duxdad

Thank you for the info. Mike is correct , I seem to have 2 males. I purchased them from Aquatic Arts , contacted them and they will make it god. I also contacted Wet Spot and they are able to sell me two females as well.
I want to thank everyone who responded and helped me.
Aquaticloch, any tips for raising/breeding these?
Thanks again all!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I have the pair in a 20 long, rock piles at each end with Java fern and some moss's in between and a clay breeding hut.
Aquaticloch, any tips for raising/breeding these?

It looks a bit bright and open to be ideal as an Apistogramma set-up, particularly not for A. trifasciata type Apistogramma spp., where the males are <"fairly aggressive">. Java Fern and Java moss are good plants, you just need a lot of them.

As the others have said you definitely need <"silica sand as a substrate">, probably a choice of <"breeding caves"> and a more cover. I like a <"floating plant"> and some <"structural leaf litter">.

Have a look at @apistobob 's web site, it has a <"wealth of information"> and @Tom C 's <"web pages">, I'll warn you that you will need to be settled in with a cup of coffee before you start on these, because they are highly addictive and you are likely to be sat there for a long time.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….