• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma eremnopyge fry

Pol Nadal

Dear all,

I've been following with great interest this forum and together with the help of some hobbyists here in Portugal, i have finally something to share my first apisto fry:

Apistogramma eremnopyge F0:

Greets,

Pol

Attachments

• SAM_5675.JPG
    SAM_5675.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 594
  • SAM_5658.JPG
    SAM_5658.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 542
  • SAM_5708.JPG
    SAM_5708.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 491
  • SAM_5712.JPG
    SAM_5712.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 501

henkh

5 Year Member
Very nice. Spec on ;ast pic the fry is visible. Question, the white stone on the first pic, what kind of stone is that? Looks CA containing stone?

Pol Nadal

Thanks to you guys,

henkh, the rock you see i am no sure what it is but was bought in one very big famous shop here that has a huge expertise.
They basically pointed to some boxes and said: for an amazonic you can use those those and those but not that other ones that contain carbonates, so i am hoping no error was made, but it's true I am getting crazy and actually surrendered a month ago after 4 months trying to lower my pH in a "stable" form, now it's 1 degree higher than it should, more african cichlids like than south american (no one complained in the tank yet but i am aware it's not the best).

I will try to remove that rock if you think there's a chance it should not be there, because i had for months this discussion with the shop where i bought all materials and no one can explain why with my (home-made yeast based =not sufficient, but present CO2 the peat and even some chemicals i did not manage to lower the pH).

thanks for pointing it out, it's worth to try (pitty because the ancistrus were loving that rock and i had the feeling somethignwas going on there :D:D: but they have branches and coconut-caves to dot the same :D:D:D)

greets and I'll try to update regularly when things happen,

Pol

loirUh

5 Year Member
Hey Pol,

Nice to see you in a international forum also!
As i said before, great fish, best luck for them.

Ric.Gomes

Pol Nadal

Hi Ricardo,

thanks, I probably have less trouble writing here than in the portuguese one ;)
plus it's always good to hear the many tricks, problems and solutions in this fish of as many people as possible.

6th day of free-swimming fry
Daddy was finally captured and moved to the new 72 l tank, so it won't have to deal any longer with the very mean "viejita" (macmasteri Fab form II) male. He was a bit stressed the first hour but now with the help of some Grindal worms I believe he will appreciate not being harassed at all times.

greetings and see you around,

Pol

Pol Nadal

7th day free swimming A. eremnopyge:

SAM_5760.JPG

… and a horrible problem with hydras in the tank due to the live BSS feeding.

cheers,

Pol.

Pol Nadal

Some update on the fry:

Today after 24 days free-swimming I moved them to the growth tank.
I think i got around 20 fish surviving this time, let's hope i don't loose many after that.
Any advice on what food to give them in parallel to BBS and Grindal? they don't accept any dried food so far:

greets

Pol

SAM_5854_zps1d1b67e5.jpg

SAM_5812_zpsf0346b0e.jpg

Pol Nadal

Thanks Mike, I'll try then frozen foods, i am just a bit worried because I would like them to be able to feed dry food so when I go on vacation i can depend on an automatic feeder not a person to go daily home!! I know some fish will NEVER accept dry food like some archerfish, badis,… but those should :D:D:D

greets

Pol

RLOPES

Wellcome to this site Pol, nice to see that apistos start to have a lot of fans in Portugal, when i started this forum helped me a lot i hope will do the same for you.
Ricardo

Pol Nadal

Hi Ricardo,

I'm trying to learn a bit, it's really fun to see them breeding but I won't focus exclusively in cichlids, I would like to try tetras too, the idea is to try rare fish so I won't confront a saturated market!!

The apistos is Fabio Silva fault :D:D:D i was aiming for discus but couldn't resist after seeing his fishroom and reading several times his 19 pages with pics, videos and details in the portuguese forums!!!

greets

Pol

Pol Nadal

Hi all,

i leave you some videos of the fry growing up :D:D:

feeding microworms

displaying dominance:

greets

Pol Nadal

An update of the fry now with a bit over 2 months:

There is a pair of Tateurndina ocellicauda sharing the aquarium space with them.

Pol Nadal

Just a tiny update on the A. eremnopyge fry that has now reached 3 months old.
I still can't see any obvious sexual dimorphism so I'll have yet to wait a bit longer to figure out how many males and females did my setup bring.
So far they are doing pretty good with their "foreign" aquarium mates:

cheers,

Pol

Pol Nadal

One more update of the fries:

almost 5 months A. eremnopyge
3.5 months A. macmasteri.

(sorry for the dirt, just back from holidays :D:D)

Pol Nadal

After a move to the community tank everything has been really quite in the last months.
Recently the death os a discus made me remove the entire aquarium setup and I decided to change the decoration,… The eremnopyge couple decided to react to that, sadly we all know nothing will come out of this, but it's great to see that the otherwise bullied female eremnopyge has her "something to say".
Guess where were the eggs placed:

the poor cory is fast kicked out while the cardinal piranha are waiting for fresh meat...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….