• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma elizabethae

Amazoniensis

Hello,what do you think about that? it was sold for A.elizabethae.

xahcg.jpg

8z2nac.jpg

Chaos

I'm no expert by that doesn't look like an Ap. Eliza because my females doesn't look like that. I have a trio of Bloodred 2f/1m.

HaakonH

5 Year Member
My first thought was A.regani, but let's wait for a more accurate answer. Is it wild caught from Brazil?

Haakon

Amazoniensis

this is wild caught from brasil.

the name in the shop was A. meinkeni, after 30mn looking for a female, i found the only one in the tank.

all the 40 males in this tank was A. elizabethae sold for meinkeni.

i thought this female was A. elizabethae too, but this is not ! :(

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, the 2 species live in different parts of the Rio Negro, but both come from the same export stations/export stations. Cross contamination occurs frequently.

My real question is, is the fish in the first post really the same fish as that in the last post??? Body shapes are totally different, as are the dark markings. The fish in the bottom photo of the last post look like they might be A. cf. sp. Breitbinden (Rio Negro) A165.

Amazoniensis

Yes mike this is the same fish ;)
First photos the fish was kept in a 100L tank.
Last photos the same fish was introduced in a 600L tank.

Thank you all.

blueblue

5 Year Member
For recent imports of the so called wild caught A. eliza from Brasil to Hong Kong, we found A. sp. Breitbinden, too...
These days, locality thing is tricky as the "wild caught" may no longer be real wild caught from the original
habitat.... I think you know what I mean....

Amazoniensis

Does both species elizabethae & sp. Breit. are sympatric in the rivers?
Congrats blueblue i think you are right ! :)
I have now to find a male ! It won't be easy there....

wethumbs

5 Year Member
The last set of pictures do look like A. sp. "Breitbinden" female, just like the ones I have.

Here is a female with the male in the back.
IMG_3545.jpg

Here is the female with the genital papilla still extended.
IMG_3635.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Definitely not Tiquié; much too large for this species. It appears to be one of the Breitbinden forms. Being a female, I doubt that I could differentiate it from the standard Breitbinden forms. My guess is that it is A. sp. Breitbinden (Rio Negro) A 165, based on the dark blotch on the caudal peduncle. I could be wrong, of course.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….