• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cues and biotope management

locuus

I have a pair of Apistogramma agassizii 'double red' currently in an 18" cube with 3 corydoras and 3 otocinclus. Their cave is a smallish piece of driftwood that has a couple of entrances, one of which only the female can enter/dwell. I've observed their interactions for about a month now, and want to know if firstly there is a primer that details behavior and mating rituals? Since the introduction of the otocinclus the female has become less aggressive in defending her territory, and the tank calmed a bit which I found interesting. The relationship between the pair I want to understand better. I've seen cycles of each chasing each other, and what seems to be mating rituals, but I am still unsure of the simple readable cues.
Secondly, I'm thinking of making a biotope for them. How often would I need to move fry on? How many could I sustain in a 3ft?
Thanks in advance

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Almost any book about dwarf cichlids will give an overview of apisto behavior. The best I've seen is in Ingo Koslowski's 2002 book; very detailed and based on watching hours of video footage over months. Sadly the book is out of print and was only published in German, although I can provide an English translation for anyone who owns the book. Have you reviewed this forum? There is a lot of experience in its members. One thing you will discover is that pairs of apistos, when they want to breed, do not want other bottom-dwelling fish in their breeding territory. In your case almost all of the tank.

Biotopes for apistos would not look appealing for most species. I have collected species in the Amazon and it is not 'aquarium beautiful'. Still, a nicely decorated tank can make for an impressive show tank that apistos will appreciate.

As for growing out fry, It often takes 4 - 9 month for apistos to be sexible and saleable. How many fry a 3 ft. tank can handle depends on how much work you put into feeding and keeping it clean.

anewbie

Is there a good source for this book? Amazon has it but it is nearly 400$ used for vol 2; vol 1 is unavailable.

Almost any book about dwarf cichlids will give an overview of apisto behavior. The best I've seen is in Ingo Koslowski's 2002 book; very detailed and based on watching hours of video footage over months. Sadly the book is out of print and was only published in German, although I can provide an English translation for anyone who owns the book. Have you reviewed this forum? There is a lot of experience in its members. One thing you will discover is that pairs of apistos, when they want to breed, do not want other bottom-dwelling fish in their breeding territory. In your case almost all of the tank.

Biotopes for apistos would not look appealing for most species. I have collected species in the Amazon and it is not 'aquarium beautiful'. Still, a nicely decorated tank can make for an impressive show tank that apistos will appreciate.

As for growing out fry, It often takes 4 - 9 month for apistos to be sexible and saleable. How many fry a 3 ft. tank can handle depends on how much work you put into feeding and keeping it clean.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
I just got a copy from abebooks. There is at least one other european seller out there (I think Netherlands). If you’re in the states, will probably run you around $100 after shipping.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….