• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cacatuoides & Tiger barbs

Hilde

5 Year Member
I have a 29 gallon planted tank. I have 4 Tiger barbs. Thinking of adding a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides to the tank in June.

Does anyone know if this is possible?
Has anyone done this?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If it were my tank, I would add 4 more tigers for a nice community. For breeding, I'd remove the tigers. Tiger barbs are quite active and probably would make short work of a batch of apisto fry.

ElectricSnowman

5 Year Member
A few years ago I had a 29 gallon tank with about 8 or so Tiger Barbs, and added a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides. The Tigers mainly left the A. Cacs alone, but one thing I did notice is the Tigers would out compete for food.

After about a month both of my Apistos eventually became VERY skinny, and died. I'm not sure if it was lack of food, or some internal parasite, or water condition, but regardless they didn't make it.

Now I have another pair of Orange Flash with 6 Serpae Tetras (who also go crazy at feeding time) but these Apistos are healthy and happy.

Hope this helps

Matt

Hilde

5 Year Member
Very interesting info!

I like to have a few babies to make up for deaths so I am going to trade the tiger barbs for some more albino cory's.

Breeder says I need to have more plants. I can't afford to buy so I will have to wait for the plants to grow.

ElectricSnowman

5 Year Member
Trading the tigers for corys sounds like a great plan. Corys will make great tankmates. The LFS may even trade some plants for your Tigers rather than getting more corys.

Hilde

5 Year Member
Trading the tigers for corys sounds like a great plan. Corys will make great tankmates. The LFS may even trade some plants for your Tigers rather than getting more corys.

I am uncertain if having cory's is a good idea. I may have to take them out when the cichlids breed. For I have read that the cory's would eat the eggs. Is this true?

Unfortunately local LFS doesn't carry plants. It is at least 20 miles to a chain with plants, thus only when I am in the area I check out the plants.

ElectricSnowman

5 Year Member
Unfortunately I do not have any personal experience with successful breeding, so I'll let somebody who does take this question.

However, it would seem that as long as you provide good enough caves the eggs should be protected. I use tiny terra cotta pots with a hole cut into the lip, then flip the pot upside down. The hole is only big enough for the female Apisto and she protects it well during breeding.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….