• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Authaupla "Sunset"

Claude

5 Year Member
I think I spelled that right, I don't have the spelling right in front of me, but anyway....

well, I picked up these little yellow cuties at a fish auction. In august, at that. When I picked them up, they were just past fry size. I would venture to guess about 1/6 of an inch. Right now, I think the biggest male is 1 inch, and the only female is 1/2 inch. I don't know wether I sexed these fish correctly, so my first question being, how do I sex them? No. 2, The Largest male and the female have already established a relationship. Theres a hole in the driftwood where they frequently hang out. Is it abnormal for them to demonstrate this behaivior so young? these fish are only about, 4 and a half months old. not very old. But have they already reached a state of maturity yet? So if I do have a pair already, what should I do with the other males? I would venture to guess to get rid of them somehow.

Regards,
AJ

Claude

5 Year Member
I thought of something else, my tank is horrendously overstocked, is it necessary to remove the fish?

6 assorted danios (mostly zebra)
5 Cories (these were the problem, my loser annoying neighbor kid bid on them out of sheer ignorance because he thought he could jam them intoa five gallon tank. I had to take them because no one else would.
1 golden algae eater (not too worried about him. He puts very little stress on the bioload and adds some color when he darts around the driftwood, I would probably end up keeping him anyway, unless of course they started to breed
4 apistos (my prime objective is to keep the little fishies alive and happy. I'll go through esperate measures.....)

this is all in a 20H planted aquarium. 78-80 degrees, ph=6.5 soft water. No ammonia, no harmful junk like that, thats pretty much all the parameters you need, am I correct?

Neil

Claude,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

EDIT: Apistogramma Atahaupla "Sunset:
I think.....

That is correct. There are 2 species forms of A. Atahualpa. The form called "Llanchama" is actually the one that is refered to as the "Sunset".

Is it abnormal for them to demonstrate this behaivior so young? these fish are only about, 4 and a half months old.

No, but just because they are displaying these behaviors does not mean that they are sexually mature. Some apistos are able to reproduce at this age and size, but I doubt that they are. Won't be too long though.

how do I sex them?

You may have to wait another month or 2 for that as well. But you distinguish these fish by extentions on the dorsal fins, the orange chest and blue body of the more mature male. Sexually reproductive females will get an orangish/yellow hue instead of the normal bright yellow associated with courting apisto females. But, at a younger age, they can be sometimes quite difficult to distinguish.

So if I do have a pair already, what should I do with the other males?

You may have to pull them. These fish can be very aggressive. Even a densely-covered 20 long may not be enough room for the other fish in the tank to safely stay away from the pair, let alone a 20h.

this is all in a 20H planted aquarium. 78-80 degrees, ph=6.5 soft water. No ammonia, no harmful junk like that, thats pretty much all the parameters you need, am I correct?

That tank and parameters are fine for right now. When spawning time comes you may have to drop the pH and keep the hardness fairly low. At least that has been my experience.

Good luck with them. They are a very cool 8) and beautiful fish.
Neil

Claude

5 Year Member
oooo

thank you. Do you know that much about every apisto? well, pulling the males won't be so hard, because I go to a fish meeting every month, and there is that fish auction there where 30 people would happily take my apistos, and I could make a quick buck there. :D

Thanks for your help.

AJ

Neil

Claude,

Do you know that much about every apisto?

Not even close. Way to many species. I learn as much from this forum as anyone. I am getting more educated all the time.
Good luck with your fish.
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….