• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Agassizii Tefe?

discus_noob

Hi guys,

I have got a bunch of these guys and want to just check their id with you as I saw a thread about Tefes and the differences between Tefes and Agassizii Tefes. I wanted to know if these were Agassizii Tefes as labelled or not?

IMG_4984.jpg

IMG_4977.jpg

IMG_4971.jpg

IMG_5104.jpg

IMG_4917.jpg

IMG_4942.jpg

And the female glowing gold;

IMG_4952.jpg

IMG_4919.jpg

Cheers,
Adam

discus_noob

Thank you Mike. You are seriously a wizz at IDing apistos. I wish some day I have even just a tenth of your knowledge.

Anyway, as reading on a previous thread the difference appears to be the distinctive wavy stripes across the body on male and female for the apisto. sp tefe where as the agassizii does not? Is there any other differences or tell tale variances between the two?

Thanks once again.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The rusty red wavy bands are seen only on A. sp. Tefé. There are, however, net-like markings on some populations of the A. agassizii superspecies from north of the Amazon channel and east of the Rio Negro (A. cf. agassizii Netz) that can sometimes be confused for wavy bands. Like I said, I've never seen a female with wavy bands, only males. I doubt that I could distinguish the typical A. sp. Tefé female from an A. agassizii female. Your female seems just a bit odd is all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….