• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Advice

HookedOnFish_MI

I’m thinking of turning my 75 gallon in to an Apisto tank. I picked up a couple Orange Flash’s yesterday that seem to be a male and female. I have them in a 10 gallon for now with a few Neons and Celestial Pearl Danios. I’m wondering if I make the 75 gallon an Apisto tank, can I have more than one species of Apisto? Or is it wise to keep just one? Also, how many males/females are ideal for that tank size? I’d like to breed them and have the 10 gallon, and 15 gallon on hand to raise fry if they won’t survive keeping them in the 75.

Also, I have a female Agassizii in the 15.

FCEEC848-8A63-4A55-80C2-583306AA985D.jpeg
ED2C920A-B899-4EB5-B8BD-C0319AADE06A.jpeg

Here’s a better shot of what I think is a female Orange Flash:

17126EC9-F5E5-482F-BCE7-AAB025F4BF90.jpeg

MacZ

For breeding smaller tanks (2x 10/20gal) would be advisable, so you can remove the male after spawning if necessary but also have it "at hand" for the next spawn. If you put them in the 75 they might breed, but the fry might not survive if there are tetras in there, too.

A 75 is more like a "just keeping" situation, not a breeding situation. Sure, with the right tankmates this would work, but catching the juveniles out is a pain in the behind.

I wouldn't mix species, as depending on the proximity of the species, hybrids might happen and those are most often undesireable, which means you might be stuck with them.

HookedOnFish_MI

For breeding smaller tanks (2x 10/20gal) would be advisable, so you can remove the male after spawning if necessary but also have it "at hand" for the next spawn. If you put them in the 75 they might breed, but the fry might not survive if there are tetras in there, too.

A 75 is more like a "just keeping" situation, not a breeding situation. Sure, with the right tankmates this would work, but catching the juveniles out is a pain in the behind.

I wouldn't mix species, as depending on the proximity of the species, hybrids might happen and those are most often undesireable, which means you might be stuck with them.
Thank you for the advice!

MacZ

Click the link in Darrel's post. It's all explained there.

In short: It's part of the feeding behaviour for Apistogramma to chew sand for edible particles. They should not be deprived of that and trying to chew gravel can be detrimental to their health.

HookedOnFish_MI

Click the link in Darrel's post. It's all explained there.

In short: It's part of the feeding behaviour for Apistogramma to chew sand for edible particles. They should not be deprived of that and trying to chew gravel can be detrimental to their health.
Thank you for pointing that out, I missed the link. If I end up converting the tank, I will also convert to sand.
Regarding the concern for catching the fry...would you catch them due to being eaten by tetras, or cannibalism? Are there dither fish that would not eat the fry to allow for leaving them in the tank?

MacZ

Thank you for pointing that out, I missed the link. If I end up converting the tank, I will also convert to sand.
Regarding the concern for catching the fry...would you catch them due to being eaten by tetras, or cannibalism? Are there dither fish that would not eat the fry to allow for leaving them in the tank?

Pencilfish are said to be quite safe.

HookedOnFish_MI

Alright, I took out the gravel and added pool sand last night. I’ll be moving the current occupants out later today and moving in the couple Apistos I have and some schooling fish tonight. I’ll be getting some more wood, plants and caves in there too.
F57D2620-2F62-41A5-B8FD-857EAAAA58FC.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….