• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistograma Community 45

_bsafarijoe

Hey y’all! I have a 45 gallon tall tank that I have had forever, it’s currently being used as a grow out for my Jaguar cichlid, but he is now 4 inches and is being moved to a 125 in the upcoming months. I would like to upgrade my current 10 gallon community tank to that setup, I am also thinking I want to put my pair of wild Apistogramma cacatuoides (I know it’s basic but they are amazing) into the community. I don’t have it very full right now, with the stocking immediately going to be 11 blackline rasboras, a couple of otos, 5 embers, and a female plakat betta. I want to add some more embers and more blacklines, possibly a small school of emperors (I have about 8 babies rn). I know how to grow plants and I’m going to be keeping them in a fully planted settup. I figure I will do a classic ada scape style, and I want to base it with black granite so I think it will be fairly bottom heavy with some awesome driftwood I have leading to the middle third. I will be doing mostly stem plants as I love the idea of super tall walls with flow over the top. Would it be a bad idea to mix my Apistograma?

MacZ

Would it be a bad idea to mix my Apistograma?
If you add Apistogramma to a community display just get a male and not a pair. Otherwise if they decide to breed you are in for a ride. Additionally the layouts of a community tank and a correctly structured dwarf cichlid tank are not that easy to compromise. Combining bettas and Apistos also has gotten mixed results for many people. Your plan already sounds like any dwarf cichlid is misplaced in it.
Wild type A. cacatuoides are ironically not very basic, as most stores only stock the domestic forms.

I personally am opposed to community tanks, but it's your decision.

_bsafarijoe

If you add Apistogramma to a community display just get a male and not a pair. Otherwise if they decide to breed you are in for a ride. Additionally the layouts of a community tank and a correctly structured dwarf cichlid tank are not that easy to compromise. Combining bettas and Apistos also has gotten mixed results for many people. Your plan already sounds like any dwarf cichlid is misplaced in it.
Wild type A. cacatuoides are ironically not very basic, as most stores only stock the domestic forms.

I personally am opposed to community tanks, but it's your decision.
Thank you again Mac. I really appreciate your honesty and patience with me. I only have one pair (A.c) and I don’t want to mess up their breeding or hurt my community. I think it’s a good idea to just keep them separate!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….