• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto stocking question

Southern fist

Hello,
I’m new here, and this forum has provided a wealth of knowledge, some of which I’ve somewhat ignored.
I introduced 3 pairs of apisto to my heavily planted and decorated 75 gallon community aquarium about a month ago (pic attached). I have 5 little flower pots and 5 coconuts in addition to the driftwoood and plants. for shelter. Water parameters are great, running an fx4 through a homemade spraybar. Other fish include 45 rummynose tetras.

one pair was borelli, and the female began harassing the male immediately. He died yesterday.

the other two pair, hongsloi and macmasteri are doing pretty well. The macmasteri are clearly the dominant fish in the tank.

based on what I’ve read on this forum, I understand that I’m probably pushing the limits of a 75 gallon tank with three pairs. I’d like to either try again with another male borelli or give the female away and try a larger pair like panduro. Are with of these good ideas, or should I simply stick with two pairs only?
Thanks
Ridley
A28F06BB-9CD5-422D-BFA2-A7B852EF4F8D.jpeg

MacZ

The species you are keeping right now can go with quite high hardness and pH, A. panduro are a little more softwater specific and might have problems acclimating. Do you know your hardness and pH readings?

Southern fist

The species you are keeping right now can go with quite high hardness and pH, A. panduro are a little more softwater specific and might have problems acclimating. Do you know your hardness and pH readings?
Yes. Ph is in the mid to low 6’s, Gh and kh are 30 &40 with the api test strips.

MacZ

API strips seem to be less than accurate, even for strips in general. The numbers for hardness are ppm, right? (We don't have API here and the more I hear the less I would recomment any products by this manufacturer.)

Let's say given the numbers are correct, then A. pandure should do fine in your tank.

Southern fist

I’m almost certain that he died because the female wouldn’t stop chasing him. He was beautiful and doing his best to impress her, but she wasn’t having it.

Southern fist

API strips seem to be less than accurate, even for strips in general. The numbers for hardness are ppm, right? (We don't have API here and the more I hear the less I would recomment any products by this manufacturer.)

Let's say given the numbers are correct, then A. pandure should do fine in your tank.
Thanks Mac!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….