• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto rubbing against wood

A

Apistoman

Hi,
My new apisto 4 feet tank was infested by ICK a couple of weeks a ago and I used Jungle products to clear them.
Along the way some Apistos died but there is no more white spot problems.

Now I realised that some of my apistos are rubbing their chin or body against wood or ornaments in tank. Some had hurt their body scales along with the process. I tried putting Oxycure and aloe vera but the problem seems not to go away.

Can somebody help ?

rgds.
Apistoman :(

farm41

5 Year Member
Hi Apistoman,

How new is the tank? Do you have test kits for measuring the ammonia and nitrite? If so, please post the results.

What is your water change schedule?

Randall

5 Year Member
Flashing

Hello Apistoman,

If your fish are still "flashing" following an Ich infestation, the parasite may still be in the system. I'd do a hefty water change and redose with the Jungle product that you were using two more times. This should kill any residual parasites present. Also, if scale damage is apparent, you may need to dose with an antibiotic that's compatible with the Jungle product to prevent bacterial infection.

Toyin Ojo of Rehoboth Aquatics uses this method to much success.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

LyreTail

5 Year Member
The directions on many ICH meds are not great at eradication of the parasite, Typically you need to treat for several days past the time all signs are gone at 80 deg F to make sure all life stages are dead. I have found some ICH meds to be more dangerous than the parasite itself when it comes to losing fish.

QT QT QT

A

Apistoman

Re: Apistos rubbing against wood

Dear Friends,
thank you for your replies.

I do agree that the Jewel 4 feet tank is relatively new ( about 4 weeks old ) and did a water cycle of 5 days upon setup before I put in the Apistos in. I am using Denneral products including the water bacteria solution as well. Water changes was inteded to be done every week once but the parasites attacked that promped many days of water changes.

As for the ICK treatment, I basically treated the tank for 2 weeks and there is no white spots left. Water changes are done every 2 days (25%) once during the treatment and the last two treatment was done with 70% water changes.

At the end of two weeks treatment, when I realised that the some specific fishes (my Hongsloi female and male, triple red Caca and orange flash caca, macmasteri red) are flashing. I used jungle tank buddies tablet and did additional 2 days treatment but the fishes seems to be more irritated and more start to flash. 1 died along the way.

Quickily I did a 80% water change, put back the carbon filter and now only few fishes (my female hongloi and macmasteri are ok so far) are flashing. I also realise that whenever I put some aloe vera more fishes start to flash. Not sure if they are scaling or sensitive.

Now I have stopped and monitoing the fishes for a while to see. The only thing I am putting is S7 vitamins and Peat water from Denneral.

Not sure what is the problem :(

rgds
Apistoman.

Randall

5 Year Member
Flashing

Hello Apistoman,

Jungle's "Tank Buddies" won't help your fish, and prolonged exposure to the chemical(s) in them may even harm them.

When treating a tank for Ich, a water change should be done beforehand to maximize the effectiveness of the medication, but once the tank is medicated, no water changes should be done until treatment is finished.

If your fish are still flashing, I'd remove the carbon from the filter, perform a 25% water change and treat with an antiparasitic medication. "Quick Cure" proves highly effective. Please don't change any additional water until until a cure is effected. The only other chemical that you should add to the tank is a declorinator, in proportion to the amount of water changed, if necessary.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

LyreTail

5 Year Member
Letting a tank sit for 5 days without fish inside it will not "cycle" the tank. Basically you have to have an ammonia source to start the nitrogen cycle ( and feed the fledgling bacterial colonies) and this is either in the form of "fish less cycling" with chemical ammonia or using fish to produce ammonia and let the bacteria colonies slowly grow.

Most "fish in tank" cycles take up to two months to fully develop unless you add "seed" material in the form of established media that contain large amounts of the nitrifying bacteria

I have written some remedial articles on these topics that may aid you here
http://groups.msn.com/LyreTailsAquarium/biochemistry101.msnw

farm41

5 Year Member
Re: Apistos rubbing against wood

Apistoman said:
Dear Friends,
thank you for your replies.

I do agree that the Jewel 4 feet tank is relatively new ( about 4 weeks old ) and did a water cycle of 5 days upon setup before I put in the Apistos in.

Not sure what is the problem :(

rgds
Apistoman.

As I asked at the first of this post, but no answer

What are the Ammonia and Nitrite readings? The problems described are typical of new tank syndrome.

IMO prescribing meds without this basic info is premature.

A

Apistoman

Hi,
Do not have tools to take nitrate and ammonia readings but I am sure that they are below that level as I am using Nitrate filter (Jewel) and water bacteria solution to break down ammonia. Sorry !

However do have litmus to test the following : PH : 6.5, carbonate dKh : 3-4 and General hardness Gkh : 6

BTW, some latest development and I am seeing some white spots on the side fins (some fins are slightly tattered/ragged due to rubbing against wood) of the apistos. 3 of them are having it.

Here we go again. Today (water just changed 2 days ago) I poured 25ml of Jungle iCK guard to a 240 litres tank and took out the carbon filter. The only filters are running currently are the course filters (2 pieces), fine filter (2 pieces) and bag of Bio-ring with trace elements.

rgds.
Apistoman :(

farm41

5 Year Member
Apistoman said:
Do not have tools to take nitrate and ammonia readings

You can get the same type test kits for measuring the ammonia and nitrite as you used for measuring your ph.

Apistoman said:
but I am sure that they are below that level as I am using Nitrate filter (Jewel) and water bacteria solution to break down ammonia. Sorry !

The nitrogen cycle can take 6-8 weeks with or without the additives.

A

Apistoman

Hi,
I bought a tetra nitrate testing kit and it reads lesser than 12.5mg/litres (safe zone according to the instructions ).

I have began treating and did not change water till today (about 4 days from medicine dosage)) at 25 % water change and added in another does of 25% of overall dosage the treatment medication. I also changed the basic filter (very top layer and this has to be done every week).
the water temperature is about 30-31 degree celcius (room temperature at Singapore) in a fully planted tank.

I will leave it and next targetted change will be 1 week from now. Most fishes stop flashing except of for my male hongsloi and macmasteri "Red".

Not sure if I need not to change water next week and leave till 2 weeks more.

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….