• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto fry only tank with shrimp?

TheMADsapper

Same as the title, can I keep potential apisto fry in my shrimp tank without predation at such an early age? filtration will be a fluval aquaclear 20, and a sponge filter on a 10 gallon (38 liter) tank, with blue bee, or some other bee shrimp, tank will be heavily planted. The fry will only have to stay until they can be shipped/ given away/ sold, and the parents will stay in their 20 gallon. I was also wondering if the breeding aggression would be diminished/ stopped by removing the fry, once they are hardy enough, of course...

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
can I keep potential apisto fry in my shrimp tank without predation at such an early age?
They won't eat the adult shrimps, but they will very efficiently pick off the shrimplets. If you don't mind this, it is a good idea.
tank will be heavily planted.
You may struggle to retrieve the fry unless you only have floaters (Pistia, Limobium or Salvinia and including Ceratopteris, Ceratophyllum etc) or potted plants.

cheers Darrel

TheMADsapper

thanks for the advice dw, as far as the difficulty of catching fry, I planned on using a 'bait' trap, kinda like ones used for catching fishing bait, but adapted for aquarium use, to minimize effort

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….