• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto collecting in Itapeaçu

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Location: Itapeaçu, 4 hours boat ride from Itacoatiara which is four hours bus ride from Manaus.
Mission. Capture apistos and bring them back.
The first night was productive, I fished in a small stream ten minutes from our house.
I caught fish,
Copyofmarch1087.jpg

Eel and laetecara sp.
Copyofmarch1110.jpg

Acaronia nassa
CopyofDSCN0524.jpg

There were three species of Apistogrammas, I caught female cacs, and agassiziis but I couldnt catch any males of either species.
I did catch another species though. They look like a bunch of blue jewels when they come out of the water.
My nikon had no lcd screen so this isnt a good photo:eek:
CopyofDSCN0528-1.jpg

I took the fish and with the aid of my flashlight got these pictures with my olympus.
Copyofmarch1113.jpg

Copyofmarch1106.jpg

Copyofmarch1098.jpg

Copyofmarch1095.jpg

The next day we went fishing for larger game,
Copyofmarch1187.jpg

Copyofmarch1189.jpg

Copyofmarch1181.jpg

Copyofmarch1183.jpg

Copyofmarch1120.jpg

Copyofmarch1152.jpg

When we got back, I went to the creek again.
This time I came back with a cac
Copyofmarch1194.jpg

Copyofmarch1195.jpg

The next day we went to another site. The only apisto I found was a female cac.
There where other interesting things though
Copyofmarch1197.jpg

Copyofmarch1198.jpg

Copyofmarch1209.jpg

Copyofmarch1215.jpg

Copyofmarch1221.jpg

Copyofmarch1224.jpg

Copyofmarch1225.jpg

And then we left that night on a bus.
CopyofDSCN0462.jpg

Mission accomplished! in the 9-10 hour trip NONE of the fish died.

Melanochromis

Wow, looks like you had an amazing time.
Congratulations for being able to capture and bring back many interesting fish!

When we got back, I went to the creek again.
This time I came back with a cac
Copyofmarch1194.jpg

Copyofmarch1195.jpg

This one really caught my eye.
He seems to be a lovely fish and reminds me of my Apistogramma sp. "Jurua".

IMG_j505.jpg

briztoon

5 Year Member
Ah, ok. A191 Apistogramma sp. "Cruzeiro". Yeah, I was asking if you meant A201. Are these two species found in the same river system or area? And is Itapeaçu where Hudson was collecting any where close?

Melanochromis

Ah, ok. A191 Apistogramma sp. "Cruzeiro". Yeah, I was asking if you meant A201. Are these two species found in the same river system or area? And is Itapeaçu where Hudson was collecting any where close?

Unfortunately, I'm not knowledgeable enough to any of these questions. Let's wait for Hudson or someone else to shed some light.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Wow, Hudson, this is your best report yet! Let's see, first the Latetacara species is L. fulvipinnis (aka Orangeflossen/Orange-fins). Then the unknown apisto is A. cf. regani (Rio Trombetas). Your "A. cacatuoides" is not the real A. cacatuoides - nor is it A. sp. Cruzeiro. You, my friend, have the only photographs of a live specimen of A. salpinction! The caudal spot, "with whitish middle portion" and intensified to form extension of lateral band" (from original description) are visible on your fish. Do you know in which river system you collected? My guess is either the Rio Uatumã or Rio Trombetas. May I use one of the photo in my talk at the ACA convention? I will give you credit for collecting an photographing the fish, of course.

Melanochromis

Thanks Mike!
A. salpinction is the preserved fish numbered A173 in Datz catalog? That's why you said there were no pictures of live specimen?
I never thought it could be this pretty. Very interesting! It has a potential to be the next hot thing for the Apistogramma keepers.

Tom C

5 Year Member
This is just amazing, Hudson! Thank you so much for sharing, and please, keep them coming:):):)
Do you happen to have pictures of the habitats, too?

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Wow, looks like you had an amazing time.
Congratulations for being able to capture and bring back many interesting fish!

This one really caught my eye.
He seems to be a lovely fish and reminds me of my Apistogramma sp. "Jurua".

IMG_j505.jpg

Do you mean Apistogramma cf. cacatuoides (Rio Juruá).
Very nice fish thank you!

This is just amazing, Hudson! Thank you so much for sharing, and please, keep them coming:):):)
Do you happen to have pictures of the habitats, too?
Dont worry! I will go back in a month or so!

Thanks Mike!
A. salpinction is the preserved fish numbered A173 in Datz catalog? That's why you said there were no pictures of live specimen?
I never thought it could be this pretty. Very interesting! It has a potential to be the next hot thing for the Apistogramma keepers.
I hope so! That would be cool!

Wow, Hudson, this is your best report yet! Let's see, first the Latetacara species is L. fulvipinnis (aka Orangeflossen/Orange-fins). Then the unknown apisto is A. cf. regani (Rio Trombetas). Your "A. cacatuoides" is not the real A. cacatuoides - nor is it A. sp. Cruzeiro. You, my friend, have the only photographs of a live specimen of A. salpinction! The caudal spot, "with whitish middle portion" and intensified to form extension of lateral band" (from original description) are visible on your fish. Do you know in which river system you collected? My guess is either the Rio Uatumã or Rio Trombetas. May I use one of the photo in my talk at the ACA convention? I will give you credit for collecting an photographing the fish, of course.
Wow that just boggles my mind! a few weeks ago it was this, http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5132082#post5132082 Is it related to this? http://passionate4pikes.wordpress.c...os-in-the-flooded-banks-of-the-mighty-amazon/ the Cacautuoides? It was caught in the same stream (the water was so high that year the little creek filled up into a shallow lake). Anyway the fish is alive and well in my tanks. I am ordering a replacement lcd screen for my nikon and then I will be able to get good pictures of the fish. I have taken several more and they will be posted in the next few days. about the ACA, Yes you can use them for just about anything i will upload a full size image on photobucket for you.
This is the area I caught it in. the town was so small they didnt have it on the map.
<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Itacoatiara+-+Amazonas,+Brazil&amp;aq=0&amp;sll=-3.050634,-61.762587&amp;sspn=4.836687,9.832764&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Itacoatiara+-+Amazonas,+Brazil&amp;ll=-3.141981,-58.442635&amp;spn=0.302388,0.614548&amp;z=11&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Itacoatiara+-+Amazonas,+Brazil&amp;aq=0&amp;sll=-3.050634,-61.762587&amp;sspn=4.836687,9.832764&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Itacoatiara+-+Amazonas,+Brazil&amp;ll=-3.141981,-58.442635&amp;spn=0.302388,0.614548&amp;z=11" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If the "cacatuoides" you collected last year is from the same area, it probably is the same species. I can't tell if it is. The photo really isn't good enough for ID purposes. Thanks for letting me use the photos. The photos on the site are good enough for my purposes. I use photos only 540 pixels wide in my programs. They show perfectly well on a screen projection. Yes, I found Itacoatiara, no problem. I will assume that the 4 hour boat ride was up either the Rio Urubu or the Rio Anebá.

Erik82

5 Year Member
Really great report Hudson! That Laetacara fulvipinnus.... still waiting to get a pair of that one in my tank.. The A. salpinction... really nice fish!!!

I am looking forward to see more photographs of the living A. salpinction!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
On the north side of the Amazon; Rio Trombetas. It's really odd to have a species found on both sides of the Amazon. During the Pleistocene epoch the north and south sides were isolated by 100+ foot deep cliffs along the main channel. This made it very difficult for species to cross the Amazon. I guess it is possible for this species to be older than the Pleistocene. For now I'd play it safe and call it A. cf. salpinction.

Julio Melgar

5 Year Member
Great report and great catch Hudson. Now, from Maryland, USA, which bus should I take to get to the same spot where you collected A. cf. salpinction?

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

Julio

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….