• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto Cacatuoides

JC031

Hey Everyone,

Looking for some help telling the gender of a couple new Apisto Cacatuoides I picked up. I know I have 1 male and hoping I don't have 2 males. Any help is appreciated. I included 1 pick of them both & 2 of the fish I'm hoping is female, if not I gotta go swap em out.

Attachments

• IMG_1773.jpg
    IMG_1773.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 472

allentwnguy

To me that does look like a sub dominant male. It looks like it has some black mottling in its tail. I've never had that in a female. On the flip side it does have the black edge on its ventral fin! You can get some red on the edge of the dorsal fin in a female though. I would bet it's a male. If you live near Buffalo NY I could help you with female, I have about 60!

Garri Ausmus

5 Year Member
my pair is an X2 male and an X4 female. She is smaller and has shorter rays on her dorsal and tail. Here are a few pictures that may help. If you plan on spawning them drop the tank temp to 72, if you spawn them at 80 you will get mostly males. Mine didn't spawn until i removed the tank heater.

Attachments

• Apistogramma cacatuoides_5-27-2017.JPG
    Apistogramma cacatuoides_5-27-2017.JPG
    825.3 KB · Views: 471
  • fire02.JPG
    fire02.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 442
  • new-girlz.JPG
    new-girlz.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 447
  • sale-male-female-cockatoo.jpg
    sale-male-female-cockatoo.jpg
    666 KB · Views: 438

allentwnguy

my pair is an X2 male and an X4 female. She is smaller and has shorter rays on her dorsal and tail. Here are a few pictures that may help. If you plan on spawning them drop the tank temp to 72, if you spawn them at 80 you will get mostly males. Mine didn't spawn until i removed the tank heater.

I've never seen a female with that much color.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….