• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apisto cacatoides

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It has been reported on many occasions. The jaws lock in an open position. It rarely returns to normal. This makes it hard for the fish to eat and it slowly wastes away. As long as you know you fish is eating something, then let it be and hope for the best. If it starts to waste away, it would be best to humanely euthanize the fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Cacatuoides-group species threaten with a wide open mouth. Sometime the mandible and maxilla lock in the open position. Sometimes the fish can gape a bit wider and 'unlock' the jaw, but it isn't common. People have tried to re-set the jaw physically, but more often than not it breaks the bones and the fish dies.

edwliang

5 Year Member
Cacatuoides-group species threaten with a wide open mouth. Sometime the mandible and maxilla lock in the open position. Sometimes the fish can gape a bit wider and 'unlock' the jaw, but it isn't common. People have tried to re-set the jaw physically, but more often than not it breaks the bones and the fish dies.
How to avoid this happen? I have seen apistos yawn pretty often. Is it normal?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't think it is really common. I can think of it occurring in my tanks only once in the past approx. 40 years of keeping apistos. It appears more common here because we have so many apisto keepers. Think of it this way. Of all the posts about apisto problems, how many are about locked jaws? My guess is <1%. People tend to report problems, but don't say anything if things are going well.

leafish

When things start going well with any Apistos I'll be sure to report, ha! Right now all my other fish are doing well. Honestly, I think the batch I had to choose from at the store had been through hell already. I think I'm gonna order some from ApistoDave.

In the meantime, my Badis Assamenis are doing wonderfully!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….