• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone have tips for hatching BBS?

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
I can't seem to get it right. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've tried 3 different methods and can only obtain the typical color change from brown to light orange. I get nothing beyond that, none of the eggs actually hatch. Anyone have a foolproof method that works every time for them?

The eggs I have are San Francisco Bay Brand, the 6g vial. I've been using a very small amount of baking soda to stabilize the pH, and Morton's brand Canning and Pickling salt. My tap water is neutral and relatively soft (~1-3 GH/KH).

I ordered some of the "Premium Grade A" eggs with the seahorse on the front to try but they won't be delivered for a few days at the earliest. Any help would be appreciated!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I hatch bbs daily. I use Great Salt Lake eggs (Brine Shrimp Direct Bargain because they are less expensive). I use synthetic sea salt set to ~1.024 on a simple hydrometer. Question: do you dechlorinate your hatch water before you use it?

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
I hadn't been, but the last time I did just to rule it out. It didn't affect a change in my results. The different methods I'd read through previously said dechlorinating was unnecessary due to offgassing.

What hydrometer do you use? One of those slender glass hydrometer/thermometer combos? My hatchery is made out of a liter water bottle and all the other ones I see look way to big to submerse.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First, if your tap water uses chloramines then the chlorine will not 'out-gas'. Brine shrimp are no different than fish in this regard. I use 2 litre bottles - the same ones I've used for 20 years - without a problem. I use an inexpensive (Sea-chem) plastic box-type hydrometer. Readings are close enough for hatching purposes. Also I never keep more than a month's eggs at room temperature. The rest I keep in the freezer in a tightly sealed container. Before opening the container for more eggs, I let it come to room temperature just to be sure that excess moisture from condensation doesn't affect the eggs.

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
I'll try out some of your suggestions with the new batch I have coming.

I'll have to recheck my municipal water website to see if it states specifically whether they use chlorine or chloramines. I believe SeaChem Prime neutralizes both, correct?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'll try out some of your suggestions with the new batch I have coming.

I'll have to recheck my municipal water website to see if it states specifically whether they use chlorine or chloramines. I believe SeaChem Prime neutralizes both, correct?

Yes, it does. I use it.

mrjbacon

5 Year Member
I tried your suggestions and actually had a fair number of BBS hatch out the most recent instance. Still very poor hatch rate, I'd say somewhere around 25-30% but no more than that. I also changed my light source out, as the water had been very warm, perhaps too warm (felt much higher than 86F)

I think my biggest issue however is my eggs, since my eggs were not stored properly. After doing a bit of research, I realized I had been unaware (or ignorant/both) to the correct method. Won't make that mistake again! I'll report back when I have had a chance to hatch a batch from the new eggs I ordered.

Happyfins

Temp plays a big part. Above 28C I get hardly any hatching, below 20C same. I use a few of the dishes mentioned above and get a decent yield with the added advantage that I can leave a dish for days before the last eggs stop hatching. I don't use dechlorinator and have read somewhere that some chlorine is beneficial in that it kills off bacteria initially. I used t make up 2litres of brine and used it on different days, when prepared fresh it produced more BBS than the brine that was used a few days later which would support the theory that chlorine can be beneficial. That last bit might be confusing, happy to clarify if required.

allentwnguy

I also have been hatching bbs nightly for years. I use a 1 liter water bottle inverted bottom cut out (reversed for lid). I have a cap for the bottom that allows air bubbles and draining of the shrimp. I'll try to post a pic. I also have a JBL artemio set up from Europe I have not had the need to take out of the box! The DIY works like a charm.

First you need to oxygenate the water from the bottom. To hatch bbs are waiting for oxygenated water and loads of light. I do my set up at 10-11pm each night for bbs the next evening for feeding. It takes 16-18 hours for a good hatch. I use a 23 watt cfl for light. I hatch in the fish room where it is warm and use aluminum foil to keep in heat from the light and let the fish rest. I use generic kosher salt (no other additives). Get a 1 gallon milk/water jug... write on the sides "brine" then 75 grams kosher salt. I put a bottle and funnel on a scale, tare, and add 75-76gms of salt, add tap water and that's it. As mentioned I use brine shrimp direct eggs. I buy 8 ounces that last months for me. I freeze most and have a smaller container in the fridge for use. Not able to upload a file, there's problem but they don't say what it is. I will happily send an e-mail if you are interested. bbs hatching is easy once you get the hang of it.

Ahh I went off to do things and they logged me out... photo...
DSC07200.JPG

Mozzulu

5 Year Member
Hi there, I had very similar issues for months using what I thought to be high quality eggs from JBL. After switching to another brand recommended by my LFS, I had about a 90% improvement. The brand I switched to is an Asian one called Ocean Nutrition that had one of those "90% hatch" guarantees on the box. No matter how much you tweak, if the eggs are low quality you'll have a bad hatch. I fiddled around with water parameters, lighting, aeration, temperature, etc. for months. From what I read in this forum and others, people who order their eggs from Brine Shrimp Direct seem to be pretty satisfied with the results. Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….