• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Amazon Biotope

rdfs87

Update on the tank:

Because of the snow, it is pretty much impossible to collect any leafs what so ever!
I did find a small bunch tho - been ordering some ketapang leafs on Ebay!

I am still in doubt about which fish to choose.

So far, ive decided:
1 pair Apistogramma Baenschi Inka (Having a hard time finding some decent looking ones)
10-15 Paracheirodon Innesi
Some Pleco's
Would love to have some Cory's(Maybe Pygmy's), but as earlier mentioned, might not be a good idea.

I am open to suggestions, though i dont want the tank to be too crowded.. "Less is more" ;)

Attachments

• foto (1).JPG
    foto (1).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 4,624

rdfs87

So, another update on the biotope.

The snow finally disappeared, which allowed me to find some more oakleafs, aswell as some old dried out oak branches, which i brought home, cleaned, soaked for around 2 weeks, and threw in the tank!

I rescaped the whole thing 20 times i think, and im still not satisfied! It doesnt help, that the branches are still willing to float. Guess I'll have to wait untill they have soaked enough water, to be sink. Patience is a b***** ;)
Im thinking about removing the hazel, but on the other hand, it does make the aquarium a bit different from what is usually seen.

Further more, I got in contact with a guy selling Amazon Frogbit way cheaper than my LFS(15$ for 10 pieces.).
Got about 50 Frogbits for the same price.

(Sorry for the bad quality pictures, they're taken with the iPhone.)

Attachments

• foto (3).JPG
    foto (3).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 3,716
  • foto (4).JPG
    foto (4).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 4,197
  • foto (6).JPG
    foto (6).JPG
    2 MB · Views: 9,767
  • foto (7).JPG
    foto (7).JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,964

prototop

5 Year Member
Hey,

I like the wood. Looks decayed, but not to the point where it might be a problem. Let the tank scape itself as the wood gets waterlogged. You cant really do anything until that point anyway. And who knows, you might like the way it turns out. But its gonna take time, maybe even months.
Before that, you might want to consider putting in some extra sand and having it slope towards the front. That way the wood and leaves will be elavated and you have a better chance of seing whats going on in between. Once it is logged, you could use a piece of wood, creating a terrace, to hold the sand in place. Be carefull though, in deep sand there might be a build up of gas from decay. I have swords whose roots aerate the sand, I dont know the risks of this occuring without. Maybe someone else could give their thoughts on this.

Good luck, and keep us posted as the tank comes along:)

rdfs87

I actually didnt make the sand slope, since I wanted to prevent the gas building up - and, also making it look as natural as my poor talent allowed me ;) IF i decide to put some more sand in, i might even consider adding some swords, and what else.. But at the moment, ill just wait and see how it turns out! Waiting for the tannins to show, and will make some concentrated tannin coloration from boiled oak leafs! The lighting is a bit too much I think.
The wood looks kinda decayed in the water, but it wasnt too bad when i found it.
Either way - there is plenty more down there, so even though it might only last for a limited time, I then have a reason of rescaping ;)

rdfs87

Time for another update:

I've added to the tank:
8 Neon Tetra
6 Rummy Nose Tetra's
The fishes were added with 2 weeks in between.

Water values looks okay so far!

- Still havent decided which Apisto i want as a last addition.
I have a hard time chosing between A. Baenschi, A. Pandurini, & A. Agassizi fire red!

Although Baenschi is like non-excisting in the LFS's across the (small) country - and thats the one i want the most.. Typically!

But since tank is still "new" i have got plenty of time.

Is any of the species mentioned above pickier than others, towards the water values?

rdfs87

Hi there,

The tank have changed quiet a bit, from what i originally had planned. (Pics attached) Its nothing special, but im very pleased with it, as it is now..

At the moment the tank is stocked with:
M/F A. cacatuoides
6 paracheirodon innesi
6 Rummy nose tetras
8 Corydoras Habrosus
2 Oto's

I know the Apisto's are not strictly for blackwater, but I thought they were the fish i wanted, among the possibilities i had to chose from. I have had free swimming fry 2 times now, and the male ate the fry both times, after aprox 2 weeks.
Since i'm not interesting in breeding them, im not doing anything to either make them breed, or keep the fry alive.
Im kinda bummed, as i found out, both Apistos have some fin deformation. The pelvic fins havent evolved as they should.. Especially the male's pelvic fins are quiet small. If i can find a new nice home for both fish, i will try to get a nice couple A. Baenschi instead.

The paracheirodon innesi have been breeding aswell, although no eggs hatched/survived?..

Corydoras Habrosus: I think this is the fish, that i care the most for. I really cant figure out, what to feed them besides sinkin' pellets, which i dump into the tank, when the lights are off, to prevent the other fish from eating them! What would you guys feed them beside pellets??

Attachments

• Akvarie 1.JPG
    Akvarie 1.JPG
    516.6 KB · Views: 979
  • Akvarie.JPG
    Akvarie.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 855

henkh

5 Year Member
I feeed habrosus mainly frozen like black mosquito, artemia, if i have live food they get it also and some spirulina flakes.

rdfs87

Do you also feed them when the lights are off, or arent they in a community tank? atm they are eating the leftover, of the frozen food i feed the other fishes! They lay eggs like crazy, but none of them are getting fertilized...

rdfs87

Oh, i almost forgot to mention....
The leafs at the bottom, is actually from the Amazon rain forrest, which i think is pretty cool :)

madmike

Looks nice, but I would paint the back black/dark brownish and try to cover up the hardware in the corner.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Looks nice, but I would paint the back black/dark brownish and try to cover up the hardware in the corner.
agree with Mike on the black background - I went the ghetto route and just used a section of black bin liner fastened to the back of my tank - looks great.

rdfs87

I've already had black background, and didnt like it tbh.. The tank went a bit too dark imo! So i removed it again.
Yeah, its a bit clumsy with the hardware visible in the corner!
Was planning a trip to the forest later this week (if the weather gets better), looking for new branches, but the fish just spawned again.... Although my plan isnt breeding these fish, i dont wanna stress the female more than neccessary.

rdfs87

as far as i could read, they shouldnt be the hardest ones to breed!
Im just glad they are doing well... Happy fish spawn.. I hope ;)

rdfs87

Aaaand, they spawned again.. Just as the old batch of fry hit the age of 2 weeks (10 left)!
Thinking of removing the other fish in the tank, get some ditherfish and start hatching some brine shrimp!
Though i have room for an extra tank - would it be too risky to try the whole breeding thing without?
There havent been any troubles soo far between "mum and dad"..

What to do, what to do!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….