• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

alternatives to bbs

aspen

5 Year Member
anybody use the no-bbs style fry foods for your babies? i have used mike reed's no-bbs for baby discus, but what others have you tried, and how did you like it. i am looking for something for a meal a day for fry to suplement bbs. btw, 'no-bbs' for baby discus is a great food, but i used bbs daily as well.

anybody try the fry food that max sells at

http://www.apisto.bravepages.com/

he was giving away free samples a while back. anyone take him up on that?

rick

Moi_Eater

5 Year Member
I have some samples of pelleted and bbs replacement food that Max sent me along with my fish that I ordered. I haven't tried the bbs replacement food yet, but I will as soon as I get some fry!

You should ask him for a sample...it can't hurt.

Aloha

jvanrompu

5 Year Member
BBS replacement

Hi,

I have used cyclop-eeze - all my fry love it and most adults will eat it also.

I have used golden pearls, decapsulated BS eggs, the Golden pearls work well, the decapsulated eggs never get eaten and fungus in the tanks quite fast.

For the smallest fry I have used APR, I love this stuff every fry species will eat it and they develop white bloated bellies just like the orange version that they get with baby brine.

APR works great for rainbows, bettas, Apistos.

Thanks

John

dhm325

5 Year Member
Hello, I have used frozen bbs, cyclop-eeze, decapsulated bbs and golden pearls. The frozen bbs, cyclop-eeze and decapsulated bbs get eaten. I am not sure about the nutritional content of frozen bbs so I don't rely in it as my primary food source for fry. I use a mixtrue of cyclop-eeze and decapsulated bbs as my main food for fry. Your are right about the decapsulated bbs causing a lot of fungus the tank really quickly. I am constantly having to clean the stuff out of my fry tanks. I cannot get any of my fry to eat golden pearls. Would you please let me know how you feed it to them? What size of golden pearls do you use?

R

Roy Wadey

I may be missing something, perhaps because I live in the UK, but what on earth are golden pearls?

jvanrompu

5 Year Member
what are golden pearls

They are sold by Brine shrimp direct,

here is some info from their web site,

Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks

John

Golden Pearls
"Golden Pearls" - A New Brine Shrimp Replacement Diet
Golden Pearls is a revolutionary new larval diet that has successfully replaced live Artemia nauplii in marine fish hatcheries in Europe. A patented processing technique (agglomeration of micro-encapsulated particles) resulting in feed particles or "clusters" that resemble raspberries (under the microscope). Golden Pearls have tiny air pockets that keep the feed particles in the water column, not on the bottom of the tank, and mimics live brine shrimp nauplii.

Golden Pearls are available in six particle sizes:

Active Spheres Golden Pearls 20-80 microns
Clusters Golden Pearls 60-100 microns
Rotifer Size Golden Pearls 100-200 microns (Rotifer / Artemia Replacement)
Artemia Size "1" Golden Pearls 200-300 microns (Artemia Replacement)
Artemia Size "2" Golden Pearls 300-500 microns
Weaning Diet Golden Pearls 500-800 microns
Juvenile Diet Golden Pearls 800-1000 microns

Ingredients: Brine shrimp, squid, shrimp and fish protein, animal protein, purified fish oils, phospholipids, astaxanthin, vitamins and protected minerals, antioxidants, and immunostimulants.

Analysis: Protein - 60%, Lipids - 8%, Ash - 15%, Moisture - 8%, Vit C - 2000 ppm, Vit E - 400 ppm, Astaxanthin - 500 ppm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….